Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: I was wondering...  (Read 1678 times)

Offline ben1478

• PS Silver Member
I was wondering...
on: January 24, 2005, 08:14:35 PM
Am i too old to start learning the piano because i asked my old (https://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/education/s/139/139848_drug_dealing_teacher_jailed_for_three_years.html) music teacher who is now in jail when he started and he said that he had been playing since he was 7 i also asked another person at my school who said that they started when they were 8. I am 15.5 at the moment.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Re: I was wondering...
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 05:21:19 AM
lol, if I had a dime for every time I was asked this...

You're NEVER too old to start learning piano!  The only restraints are the ones you place on yourself.  Now, if you want to become a concerting pianist, it might be difficult, but not entirely impossible.

Most people find that it's difficult because at that age, people usually start exploring career and  school options and don't usually find the time to devote to serious practice.

As far as simply LEARNING piano, however, there is no age limit.
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline ChristmasCarol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 07:55:24 PM
Hey, you pulling our legs?   Your teacher's in jail?  Come on... :P

Offline ben1478

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 10:37:38 PM
Hey, you pulling our legs?   Your teacher's in jail?  Come on... :P

He is in jail look at the link

"A DISGRACED church school teacher who turned to drug dealing to eke out his salary was today jailed for three years.

Stephen Bell, 29, a music teacher at Canon Slade C of E High School in Bradshaw, Bolton, admitted four counts of supplying cocaine and one of possession..."

Offline ChristmasCarol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 02:16:38 PM
Okay, sorry,
You are so not too old.  It's curious to me that this keeps coming up as an issue.  Whenever you learn something new your brain is changed forever.  To be student of piano changes your brain and makes you smarter  George Leonard's book 'Education and Ecstasy" has a great description of what happens to your brain in the learning process.  Follow your passion.  The absolute sky's the limit.  Sorry about your teacher.  Addiction has touched all of our lives.

Offline key of c

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 06:46:41 AM
Am i too old to start learning the piano because i asked my old (https://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/education/s/139/139848_drug_dealing_teacher_jailed_for_three_years.html) music teacher who is now in jail when he started and he said that he had been playing since he was 7 i also asked another person at my school who said that they started when they were 8. I am 15.5 at the moment.

Hey, you're new too old to learn - but I wouldn't wait till your teacher's time is up. :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert