Piano Forum

Topic: Pianostreet Forum dying, how can we help?  (Read 7694 times)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Pianostreet Forum dying, how can we help?
on: May 25, 2019, 03:03:36 AM
The last 4 years have seen this forum dwindle and quieten down more and more just look at the stats:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?action=stats

This year we are under 2k posts and we are near the halway point, where last year it was at 6k posts in the year though all of this is a shadow of what pianostreet used to be with 100k+ posts back in 2005.

I wonder what ideas would help revitalize the forum once more, maybe things like bring back pianostreet chat, karma points/like/dislike type system, social media integration, online system were people can play with piano online like www.multiplayerpiano.com, a better display of recordings/videos uploaded to the website in a more youtube type format which is more easy to search through and organise, perhaps even allow access to all sheet music and allow people to write commentary on each bar and link all discussion of pieces into a more organised fashion to help others who are studying those pieces etc etc.

Maybe we can suggest more ideas to help make this forum good again.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pianostreet Forum dying, how can we help?
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 08:13:16 AM
Either there are less argumentative people left or we have discussed controversial topics to death...

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 11:18:44 AM
I had noticed this myself, particularly over the last few months. A number of very talented people, regular contributors, have left this forum over the last few years, some formally and overtly, but others seemed to suddenly vanish altogether from the internet and email. I had attributed the decline to this but there might be other factors involved. A similar decline has, with the exception of the adult beginners section, occurred, albeit to a lesser extent, on Pianoworld. As yet I have not thought of a single explanation, so the phenomenon is likely to have multiple causes.

There is probably a certain amount of truth in what outin says, but it cannot be the whole story; repeated topics never stopped posters in the forum's heyday. Perhaps people's lives are busier and claiming more of their attention ? Perhaps there exists an optimal comfort level of regular communication of any sort ? That is why I deleted my Facebook, simply because I cannot stand the perpetual deluge of trivia just for the sake of communication. But again, this should not apply to a dedicated forum such as Pianostreet.

What can be done to revive it ? I am not sure there is much I could do personally, as I am too far out of mainstream common practice and knowledge to make more than infrequent comments at the best of times. I could post my recordings more often I suppose; at present I restrict myself to once every two months or so but I don't wish to appear forward out of proportion to my ability. Heaven knows, Youtube and the internet are full of obtrusive players who really aren't that interesting and don't realise they are embarrassing bores.

I guess I could try to enter discussions more often, but only if I think I can say something relevant which helps someone. I far prefer a search for truth to a debate. I shall give the matter more thought as I wouldn't like to see Pianostreet dry up.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 12:11:28 PM
I would guess that, for a significant number of people, forum participation is partly a social thing, and there are far more competing outlets than 15 years ago. Not just Twitter but FB groups, YT, etc. At the end of the day perhaps people have far less time to spend on becoming part of a forum?
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline dogperson

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 03:34:03 PM
My opinion, which I am sure few will agree with:
-A number of new members, particularly less experienced pianists, have been accused of being frauds, trolls and PW plants.   Why in the world would you stay in that kind of environment that was allowed to continue over and over again. Forum moderators did not stop it.
-Audition room: it is visible but few professional/semi professionals will take the time to offer suggestions. The same post on PW receives views and comments.
-Topics are often rambling, TL;dr discussion, with limited concrete suggestions

Not sure, but is silver membership now a fee subscription?  Other forums are free

How to improve the traffic here, change all of the above.

I have hesitated posting this because it will likely receive  negative comments.   
There are other active forums.  It will take time and effort to revive this one.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 06:37:29 PM
I would guess that, for a significant number of people, forum participation is partly a social thing, and there are far more competing outlets than 15 years ago. Not just Twitter but FB groups, YT, etc. At the end of the day perhaps people have far less time to spend on becoming part of a forum?

Many younger people (and even people my age) have generally almost stopped using e-mail and old-style discussion forums and instead spend their time on Facebook, whatsup and whatever...

Offline dogperson

Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 07:49:03 PM
Many younger people (and even people my age) have generally almost stopped using e-mail and old-style discussion forums and instead spend their time on Facebook, whatsup and whatever...

From looking at the topics, Reddit piano seems to be full of young people.  Maybe add a couple of forum pages here that would appeal to this age group.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 11:17:14 PM
I haven't had any questions recently.  I've been focusing on raw physical things lately.

Yes, we could steal some questions from another forum.  Haha.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 09:47:05 AM
....  I've been focusing on raw physical things lately...

Who's a lucky boy then ?

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 05:59:11 PM
-A number of new members, particularly less experienced pianists, have been accused of being frauds, trolls and PW plants.   Why in the world would you stay in that kind of environment that was allowed to continue over and over again. Forum moderators did not stop it.
That .... absolutely. Incl. mods not stopping it.  Notification button seems to do nothing. No response, and no action.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 03:05:29 AM
Imo opinion the best feature of this place is the freedom of speech ie lack of moderation. Sometimes the requirement of "being nice" just kills critical conversation on controversial topics. Having to put up with some nastyness and trolling is the downside of this. You cannot have it all.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 03:48:03 AM
double post

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 03:48:35 AM
Imo opinion the best feature of this place is the freedom of speech ie lack of moderation.
Brand new students come in, asking for advice, and are immediately shut down by the same individual, being accused of things. Those students disappear, and never ask for help again.  Intimidation is not freedom of speech.  Personal attacks on people is not freedom of speech.  One discusses IDEAS, not the persons expressing those ideas. 

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 04:56:33 AM
I reckon the Karma points system could be used in good effect to encourage good responses and replies. Perhaps allow members to gather up enough points to unlock certain features or something in the forum. Maybe decorate an avatar character or be able to buy particular avator images with karma points and have it on display in your posts lol, or allow people to see how many points of influence you have, make a game out of it all and encourage interaction.

www.pianovision.com

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 06:39:43 AM
As an ongoing  student myself, I hope Piano Street never dies. I know I don't post much but I do read and have learned from the wonderful professional advice from members here, and may it continue. I like the fact that there is no animosity and  horrible arguments,  you have all been very friendly and civil. I have been a member for  few years, and this forum has been great helping me to keep my enthusiasm going helping me to become a better player.   

I don't like any other piano forum!   

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 07:23:53 AM
I reckon the Karma points system could be used in good effect to encourage good responses and replies. Perhaps allow members to gather up enough points to unlock certain features or something in the forum. Maybe decorate an avatar character or be able to buy particular avator images with karma points and have it on display in your posts lol, or allow people to see how many points of influence you have, make a game out of it all and encourage interaction.
Do that, and I'm gone.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 09:09:55 AM
Brand new students come in, asking for advice, and are immediately shut down by the same individual, being accused of things. Those students disappear, and never ask for help again.  Intimidation is not freedom of speech.  Personal attacks on people is not freedom of speech.  One discusses IDEAS, not the persons expressing those ideas.

You are entitled to your opinion, but generally I cannot agree with you. There is already a place where discussions are cut off and censored due to some people's intolerance of any sort of conflict. We do not need another one.

Yes, there may be one or two crazy trolls here, but that just reflects real world and I think even brand new students should learn to deal with it. Besides I kind of prefer individual trolls as opposed to regulars with no sense of humor ganging up on people who think differently... at least here one is allowed to express any sort of opinions on music and composers.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 12:57:36 PM
Do that, and I'm gone.
What do you suggest improve the website? More rules and removing things are not going to bring people in, you need to add features, suggest some features that might be useful to help the forum.  If it stays the same it is going to sink into oblivion, you will be like the only person here lol. I don't understand your fear about karma points at all, there are many creative ways it could be used.
www.pianovision.com

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 01:00:34 PM
You are entitled to your opinion, but generally I cannot agree with you. There is already a place where discussions are cut off and censored due to some people's intolerance of any sort of conflict. We do not need another one.
Yeah why do we need "safe spaces" for delicate petals to interact ahah.
www.pianovision.com

Offline dogperson

Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 02:44:21 PM
Yeah why do we need "safe spaces" for delicate petals to interact ahah.

You might call them ‘delicate petals’ , but the majority of adults learning a new skill are vulnerable to bullying.  Maybe you would like them to be tougher, but that is not going to happen.  We have run off many new members from the taunting replies they have received.  Why should they put up with that When there are other forums where they do not receive this treatment?  In fact, they did not stay but moved on somewhere else.  That is the reality.... and a piano website can’t survive without an infusion of new pianists.

I’m not sure if your response was serious; if it was, I am surprised

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 03:46:08 PM
The delicate petals I'm talking about are those who hurl offtopic insults at you and then cry when you call them up on it. Pianoworld for instance, there is a small handful I've come across and I've even had pms from other members there who tell me not to worry about them as they are the same band who cry offtopic with anyone who challenges their ideologies in any shape or form. Those people don't need a safe space where they can winge and winge without the threat of rebuttal. On pianoworld they lock topics when people argue, here the mods often delete idiotic offtopic comments and allow threads mostly to continue on, an appropriate reaction not a lazy ass pianoworld method (with mods who won't even read/respond to pms and wonder why threads go crazy).

People shouldn't insult actual questions I haven't seen much of that happen here except from maybe one crazy person who thinks everything is a fake post lol. There are real dumb questions out there though just go through reddit piano, some people are so lazy to find answers they end up asking really dumb questions so sometimes it is important to tell them not to be so damn lazy because spoonfeeding or doing their homework won't help them. I haven't seen much of that here at all though a small few people here we get are quite inebriated with grandoise delusions, which seems not to be that uncommon when it comes to the arts, we shouldn't support that it is not good for their mental health.

Anyway I don't think this is a strong factor for the quietness in pianostreet, arguments have existed throughout its lifetime, that is the internet for you, there is something more specific missing here, it needs to get more in line with the times.
www.pianovision.com

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 05:40:19 PM
Is anyone familiar with Talk Classical?

https://www.talkclassical.com 

They have an Area 51  where members can share their various views on how the forum is run, suggest ideas, actually complain about how it is moderated,   or gripe about other members  being rude and argumentative. Most of the time debates only descend into further arguments and falling out with members.  Nothing is ever really gets solved.

On this forum I have never encountered hostility or been attacked by anyone, but there is always a first time I guess.  :D
I am not a big poster, but when I first joined  I found the white type on black background a bit hard to get used to,   still tolerate it as I like the forum as I feel comfortable with interacting with other members who I know are knowledgeable.    I wonder if other newcomers feel the same about the white on black, and that may deter them from posting,  ( I could be wrong). 

I really dislike Talk Classical, because of several members who are trouble makers who like to grandstand and play the big I am,  Which is a pity.
I am also not too keen on Piano World. 
If Piano Street disappears then I shan't bother with any more forums.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: May 27, 2019, 06:56:28 PM
I don't understand your fear about karma points at all, there are many creative ways it could be used.
This is about the third time you have attributed "fear" to people.  I don't "fear" them.  I hate that kind of thing, and that is when I leave.

Offline dogperson

Reply #23 on: May 27, 2019, 08:00:06 PM
No one has answered the question:  do new members need to pay for a subscription?  If yes, that will affect membership since there are free options

Interesting discussion but I wonder if forum management is concerned.  Really not my problem, but it is regrettable.  There are not many  things each of us as members can do: but one in particular is the lack of interest in the audition room... but not much else. Karma points have been suggested but I’m not seeing anything else

The troll has not been around lately to jump out from under the bridge

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: May 27, 2019, 08:54:47 PM
No one has answered the question:  do new members need to pay for a subscription?  If yes, that will affect membership since there are free options

... one in particular is the lack of interest in the audition room...

Silver membership is free here, it only costs to get access to all the sheet music.

I do feel bad about not commenting more on the audition room. But most pianists who post here are such high quality that I can offer little constructive critisism when I have not studied the pieces myself. It feels inadequate to just post something like "that's great".

Offline dogperson

Reply #25 on: May 27, 2019, 09:11:10 PM
Silver membership is free here, it only costs to get access to all the sheet music.

I do feel bad about not commenting more on the audition room. But most pianists who post here are such high quality that I can offer little constructive critisism when I have not studied the pieces myself. It feels inadequate to just post something like "that's great".

If you log out and then click on ‘sign up’, it looks as if the paid gold membership is the only option for new members. Maybe I have missed something....

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: May 27, 2019, 10:04:07 PM

If you log out and then click on ‘sign up’, it looks as if the paid gold membership is the only option for new members. Maybe I have missed something....

You are right, had not noticed it before...it would certainly explain a lot.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: May 27, 2019, 10:29:40 PM
The delicate petals I'm talking about are those who hurl offtopic insults at you and then cry when you call them up on it.
You were responding to a post which was in response to my post.  And in that post I wrote specifically of new students daring to ask questions for the first time, and immediately being attacked as tools of administration and other weird things.  I have repeatedly asked for this to be retracted and/or for mods to step in when the attacks are ad hominem.  I was once beginner without proper advice and know what that is like.

I have not seen the "delicate petals" by your description on either site.  However, I have seen a lot of people turned off and pulling out of certain threads out of disgust.  I was one of them.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: May 27, 2019, 10:52:52 PM
Come to think about it, I cannot recall any attacks or insults directed at me, the man, personally on either forum. My music and my musical philosophy have had screeds of insults, especially from the Pianoworld conservatives; truth to tell I get a bit of a kick out of that, perhaps it means I’m actually onto something interesting. The other way around, I know for sure I have never set out to hurt anybody, especially beginning improvisers, many of whom I have corresponded with, sent recordings and videos and helped in other ways. Curiously, that has almost always happened here, as improvisation, other than its regimented forms, is not, in general, highly regarded on Pianoworld. There is a depressing amount of deadly serious, competitive angst among young players, which I have tried hard to ameliorate.

This is an interesting thread, and reflects the same difficult problems now facing social media in general.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 02:30:30 AM
Oh ms keypeg always such challenges explaining things to you sometimes but thats why I love you :P

This is about the third time you have attributed "fear" to people.  I don't "fear" them.  I hate that kind of thing, and that is when I leave.
Replace the word fear with any other word you feel safe with then what about *dislike* for instance. Well just because you dislike it and have no reason you can share with us I guess we have to leave it at that then.

You were responding to a post which was in response to my post. 
Yes sure but I was taking a specific point from outin which can be appreciate in isolation to your post so please appreciate that too. i.e.: "There is already a place where discussions are cut off and censored due to some people's intolerance of any sort of conflict."

I have not seen the "delicate petals" by your description on either site.  However, I have seen a lot of people turned off and pulling out of certain threads out of disgust.  I was one of them.
Pianoworld has a handful of people who talk offtopic rubbish at you if they disagree with you and because I called them up on their rubbish they got even more irate and irrational which was quite funny, have a read through https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2843617/always-build-up-never-break-down.html
I can give you you a whole wave of examples there where offtopic arguing kept going on and on, it happened so much that the admin there didn't know how to deal with it and locked the topic.

You pulled out of that thread because I wouldn't agree with you and read things in a different manner that you might have, I don't see how that is a problem we don't need to debate until we agree.

Still we need more ideas how to help this website, arguments happen all over the internet and it is not going to stop people from coming here, if people are shocked with arguing then they must be new to the internet lol.
www.pianovision.com

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 02:41:41 AM
Is anyone familiar with Talk Classical?

https://www.talkclassical.com 

They have an Area 51  where members can share their various views on how the forum is run, suggest ideas, actually complain about how it is moderated,   or gripe about other members  being rude and argumentative. Most of the time debates only descend into further arguments and falling out with members.  Nothing is ever really gets solved.
I haven't heard of that forum, it is not surprising if people are encouraged to complain that things will just become a great big waste of time mud slinging. Some people like to practice all that, I guess it is easier than actually discussing something intelligent. I think people have to realize that they don't have to be agreed with, some are so insecure they need peoples approval all the time or need to replace what people say with disagreement and expect no rebuttals.

I am also not too keen on Piano World. 
If Piano Street disappears then I shan't bother with any more forums.
Piano world has a few "funny" people on there who feel offended if you disagree or offer challenging ideas. I personally don't mind the clashing I enjoy it but I enjoy proper discussion much more especially if people disagree and offer a strong stance without getting all teary and angry lol.

www.pianovision.com

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 02:46:38 AM
Gosh is that true? I just went through the sign up page and could only find gold membership as an option. hmmmm thats weird! Yes certainly need to have free silver membership option available, I wonder if Nils knows about this????
www.pianovision.com

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 06:06:05 AM
Gosh is that true? I just went through the sign up page and could only find gold membership as an option. hmmmm thats weird! Yes certainly need to have free silver membership option available, I wonder if Nils knows about this????

I am sure he did it on purpose. It may keep new trolls away, but in the end not a good idea... I doubt it will attract more gold members, especially if there are less new discussions on the main boards.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 06:25:47 AM
I didn't know that either, but I tried just now and it seems to be true. Bugger that, those paid accesses are useless for a player like me, I'd never use any of them. I did take out a gold membership years ago but dropped it for that reason. If the forum goes that way it really will fade away.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 09:33:02 AM
It has happened before and that time it was not intentional:
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=61645.msg660683#msg660683

Maybe another problem with the software updates? We should just ask Nils...

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #35 on: May 28, 2019, 05:22:17 PM

The free Silver membership has deliberately been closed for new registrations for more than a year and most new members are signing up to get access to the paid resources such as sheet music library, recordings, AST, piano news and other features of Piano Street. That is obviously the main reason for a declining forum activity the past year.

The reason we are keeping it closed is that we are migrating and upgrading all our backend systems, a complicated process taking long time, and during periods some parts of the member account management must be done manually. We do not always have resources to manually handle around 50 new accounts per day (including all forum spammers and trolls) and have decided to keep it closed until the backend migration is fully completed.

The free Silver membership with forum access will be back later this year in a new version. But we will investigate the possibility to temporarily re-open the legacy version soon or turning some other knobs in order to increase the activity in the short term.

Pianostreet Forum dying, how can we help?
For example, posting a few comments about recordings in the Audition Room on a regular basis, even asking the performer questions about the piece/performance etc. is probably one of the most relevant and appreciated ways to immediately increase the forum activity.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: May 28, 2019, 05:42:41 PM
The free Silver membership has deliberately been closed for new registrations for more than a year and most new members are signing up to get access to the paid resources such as sheet music library, recordings, AST, piano news and other features of Piano Street. That is obviously the main reason for a declining forum activity the past year.

The reason we are keeping it closed is that we are migrating and upgrading all our backend systems, a complicated process taking long time, and during periods some parts of the member account management must be done manually. We do not always have resources to manually handle around 50 new accounts per day (including all forum spammers and trolls) and have decided to keep it closed until the backend migration is fully completed.

The free Silver membership with forum access will be back later this year in a new version. But we will investigate the possibility to temporarily re-open the legacy version soon or turning some other knobs in order to increase the activity in the short term.
For example, posting a few comments about recordings in the Audition Room on a regular basis, even asking the performer questions about the piece/performance etc. is probably one of the most relevant and appreciated ways to immediately increase the forum activity.
That's quite interesting insight into some of the work going on in the background Nils, will be good to see what's in store later on in the year!
www.pianovision.com

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: May 28, 2019, 09:54:15 PM
That’s a relief about silver memberships, thanks for explaining that part. As to the general decline, I shall try to post a bit more and hope for the best, that is all I can do.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 11:39:16 PM
Quote from: lostinidlewonder link=topic=65727.msg693341#msg693341
You pulled out of that thread because I wouldn't agree with you ...
I don't mind you having difficulty understanding what people write when that happens.  It happens to the best of us, in fact all of us.  But please do not attribute thoughts to me or others that we do not have.  It's not why I pulled out.
As you said - let's keep to the topic at hand. ;)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: May 29, 2019, 03:50:52 AM
I don't mind you having difficulty understanding what people write when that happens.  It happens to the best of us, in fact all of us. 
It sure does like you thought i was being sarcastic in a post in pianoworld even though I told you a number of times I wasnt :P

But please do not attribute thoughts to me or others that we do not have.  It's not why I pulled out.
Oh you pulled out because of "digsust" I don't think that is very specific so forgive me for logically trying to solve why, you pretty much invited me to attribute thoughts on you and because I was in the thread and discussing a lot that is all I can fathom from the evidence of the thread unless you have some secret reasons why. In any case this kind of thing won't reduce activity in a forum, it happens everywhere.
www.pianovision.com

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 04:44:22 AM
Lmao I’m top 10 on topic starters
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: May 29, 2019, 05:34:44 AM
Lmao I’m top 10 on topic starters

Yet you have beel really lazy lately  >:(

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: May 29, 2019, 06:33:04 PM
and from its ashes a rebirth shall occur.

btw above, not a phoenix , it's really a black crow covered in cheetos dust shaking it off

we can always bring back Ed Palamar and 89th key, they're always good for a laugh

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: May 29, 2019, 09:23:59 PM
Yet you have beel really lazy lately  >:(

That’s cause I’m too busy to be on here anymore lol
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: May 30, 2019, 06:23:56 AM
Just for some background, I am an amateur in my 20s who has been trying to learn piano on my own. Pianostreet has been an unparalleled resource online, and I would never wish to see it die. I am deeply indebted to people like bernhard, keypeg, and ted, whose posts have shaped my learning of piano. I was most active on the forum in the beginning of 2006.

This year we are under 2k posts and we are near the halway point, where last year it was at 6k posts in the year though all of this is a shadow of what pianostreet used to be with 100k+ posts back in 2005.

- Pianostreet is an "old-school" online forum. It is reminiscent of the internet in the early 2000s. In my experience, activity on most such forums has gone down (perhaps except for reddit, but I don't know how much that counts as old-school). The dark theme with mostly discussion-based posts without video or images contributes to this. The UI on the site looks decent, but most other sites look more "attractive" on a superficial level. I personally would not want this to change (!), but perhaps add some optional customizations for new members on the site. People are using the internet very differently than they used to.

Either there are less argumentative people left or we have discussed controversial topics to death...
I agree with this. Many common questions have been debated and answered so thoroughly, from so many angles, that there is not much to add, after a point.

I had noticed this myself, particularly over the last few months. A number of very talented people, regular contributors, have left this forum over the last few years, some formally and overtly, but others seemed to suddenly vanish altogether from the internet and email. I had attributed the decline to this but there might be other factors involved.
After a while, unless you post regularly in the Improvisation subforum like ted (and maybe even then), questions start to get repetitive, and it is natural that one may eventually leave the forum. One needs to keep attracting new high-quality posters, because old ones will almost inevitably leave after a few years.

-Audition room: it is visible but few professional/semi professionals will take the time to offer suggestions. The same post on PW receives views and comments.

Sadly, this is true. Trolls mostly didn't deter me from posting, but I would imagine that most people who are beginners and do not realize the true value of the forum could leave it and look somewhere else. I also agree with the reply to this post about how moderating the forum could stifle free speech, and make it harder to have real discussions with opposing viewpoints. This is always a dilemma -- perhaps have some moderation, but have a high ceiling for it to kick in? I was on the internet when trolls were rampant, so Pianostreet seems very clean in comparison, but many new internet users are totally disconnected to that "subculture" of trolling.

I have been really apprehensive about posting in the improvisation forum, because I am just a beginner, and most of the people there are excellent improvisers. I do not expect to get feedback on my improvisations there, and it is really nerve-wracking for me to actually upload an improvisation on the forum.

This explains a lot. Perhaps add a feature for guests to post? But again, if it's only a few months, we may as well wait.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: June 03, 2019, 02:43:33 AM
That pretty well goes a long way to explaining the decline.  Since the activity we contribute to the forum surely adds to its visibility, so there's a kind of circular cause and effect, perhaps
I wouldn't feel qualified.  I'd say the performance, teacher and student areas are the most often visited, because a lot of people here are learners, teachers, and performers who are still learning and growing.  Those are also the folks most likely to join starting at the silver level.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: June 05, 2019, 06:42:31 PM
I think perhaps a combination of both.
Go back a few years and there were thousands of posts arguing about politics and religion, many of which were mine.I am sure most members dont want to go back to that.
As far as the piano side of things is concerned, there does not seem to be much interest in music outside of the regular repertoire,  so i dont bother posting.
Combined with a lack of extremely knowledgable musicians and professional pianists, the forum does appear to be in the doldrums.
Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: June 06, 2019, 03:41:38 AM
I know what we could do, let's invite Susan back ! Good idea Thal ? I reckon she’d fancy you with your new body.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: June 06, 2019, 01:07:57 PM
I know what we could do, let's invite Susan back ! Good idea Thal ? I reckon she’d fancy you with your new body.

Thal got a new body?? I want one too, I wonder if it was expensive?

Offline maxim3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: June 06, 2019, 07:10:32 PM
Thanks to this dying forum for introducing me to reddit!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert