Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: [Video] Liszt - La Campanella | C. Bechstein  (Read 2039 times)

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
[Video] Liszt - La Campanella | C. Bechstein
on: July 10, 2019, 10:16:59 AM
I haven`t posted for a while.. I just memorized this great piece and I wanted to record my first try at playing the whole thing :D There is more work to be done of course and I am looking forward for your comments and suggestions! Best wishes :)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Re: [Video] Liszt - La Campanella | C. Bechstein
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:01:28 PM
A couple thoughts.

First of all, this was your first time playing the whole thing, yet you have it memorized and you're playing it as fast as you are? Makes no sense.

Secondly, the camera cuts are dizzying. If you played it all in one sitting, just have the camera sitting there. It's very distracting and gives the impression that you took 50 takes and spliced them all together.

Thirdly, why choose a tempo that you have to slow down at the difficult/sticky parts to get through? Why not just choose a more manageable tempo that you can play continuously through?

On a more positive note, it seems you have it under your fingers. I'm sure you'll be able to play it better with that technique.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Re: [Video] Liszt - La Campanella | C. Bechstein
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 02:08:22 PM
A couple thoughts.

First of all, this was your first time playing the whole thing, yet you have it memorized and you're playing it as fast as you are? Makes no sense.

Secondly, the camera cuts are dizzying. If you played it all in one sitting, just have the camera sitting there. It's very distracting and gives the impression that you took 50 takes and spliced them all together.

Thirdly, why choose a tempo that you have to slow down at the difficult/sticky parts to get through? Why not just choose a more manageable tempo that you can play continuously through?

On a more positive note, it seems you have it under your fingers. I'm sure you'll be able to play it better with that technique.

Thanks for your comment. It was first try by heart not the first try ever ;)

For the camera.. it was taken in 1 shot and I just zoomed in/out to create some diversit and not to be static.

For the tempo.. I wanted to catch Cziffra and I overdid it. For which I think i had to do a dummy recording before this one and listen to it since often you imagine you play it like you want and infact it is different :) I play it better now after I heard myself :) After my vacation I will probably do a second recording.

And finally yeah it`s a fun piece to play and i`ll get it done :)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert