Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Omnibus small questions about specific works  (Read 1164 times)

Online j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Omnibus small questions about specific works
on: January 18, 2020, 01:42:15 AM
Yeah, I find it would be better to have a clearinghouse, omnibus thread for small questions about bits of music.

I suppose I could state that I prefer not to have any nonsense here, but once the thread is launched, I also suppose to not have any control over it.

SO, the reason for this is that I wonder who has read through the "Four Duets" of Bach and has heard any recorded versions other than Hewitt's?

I find it to be alarming that some fairly rich textures can be achieved with what seem to me to be mere inventions. 

The same thing can be found, in Bach, for example, in the keyboard version of Bach's D-minor concerto for keyboard and strings.

However, I've not found many people playing or talking about the "Duets" of Bach for keyboard.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Online j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: Omnibus small questions about specific works
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 07:48:41 PM
Oh, I think a few weeks ago I did some stuff with one of the Duets:  I think it was in F.  Lots of chromaticism, and some fun modulations.  Interesting.  Don't know why I never hear more about these pieces. 

I should have corrected myself a good bit ago:  the WTCII C minor fugue is a beast.  Maybe not the notes so much, and it's idiomatic to the keyboard so it feels good, but that is a beast of a fugue. 

Very compact. 

Yeah, I'[l still keep working at it, but that is a little bit tricky to keep all that in one's mind while reading and playing at it.  A whopper, I guess one could say.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert