Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Teaching children from 3 years old to 5 years old - Musical Stimulation  (Read 1588 times)

Offline wkmt

Fellow pianists,

I bring you this material about musical stimulation for early-ages students.

https://www.i-am-a-spammer.com/post/piano-lessons-for-3-years-old-musical-stimulation

Some of us are also teachers apart from performers. We all know that the sooner a pianist starts in his or her life the more chances or -unarguably- more time he or she has to develop the skill.

For that reason, I commended my student in London, Iris Kreiman, to produce this article about the main contents, objectives and strategies active when teaching early-ages students.

I hope it can be of help to you!

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
For that reason, I commended my student in London, ...  to produce this article about the main contents, objectives and strategies active when teaching early-ages students.
Since this person wrote an article advising about early childhood education, it would be good to know her background in this area. Expertise / background is always the first thing we should look at when reading such things on the Net.  The article doesn't tell us.  Does she have training in early childhood or similar and if so, is experience coupled with this?

I read the article.  It seemed rather general and at the same time academic and yet meandering.  I was not able to get practical things out of it, esp. for piano.  My own background does include some training in this area from teacher training at university, with a secondary degree in B. Ed.  I did not recognize the "White Book" she mentioned, and googling it gave no results.  Can you elucidate on that book?   I was also surprised at the single source (the one book) and none of the common resources such as Piaget.

Offline wkmt

Hello Keypeg,

I´m really sorry about the book reference. I will now work with Iris to clarify exactly the bibliography. Thank you for you advice :)

Offline wkmt

Can you elucidate on that book?   I was also surprised at the single source (the one book) and none of the common resources such as Piaget.

It is now clarified :) Please, take a look. The book is in Spanish, but you can use Google translate.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
The book appears to be put out by something like social services, and to deal with disabilities or prevention of some kind.  The whole thing cannot be put through Google Translate but my Spanish was enough to get some kind of gist.

Offline wkmt

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
I am still missing the relevant background.  Does the writer have training in early childhood education or anything else that is related, since you seem to be presenting this to teachers in an advisory kind of way.   The article itself is not something where I could find anything practical - I was in fact interested in the topic which is why I read it.  meanwhile, nothing that I learned about general early childhood education, typical stages, or anything really, was contained in the article - and I do have that training.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member

This picture's kind of scary.  It's not like they're going to do much at that age.
It's a shutterstock picture. Right click the image, "search Google" and you will find a whole bunch of teachers, schools, blogs, using that same picture.  I agree.

Here 's what you get from "child piano + shutterstock"
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/child+playing+piano

Imagine if a teacher wants to have some pictures on her site, and doesn't think things through and chooses this one:
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/beautiful-little-girl-dressed-pink-petticoat-248252506

A parent who does know about piano will say, "Oh my, this teacher does not care about height or distance."  - not realizing this is not that teacher's student.  Watch what pictures you choose.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert