Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Experimental interpretation of Chopin's Revolutionary Etude  (Read 1660 times)

Offline chris_master

• PS Silver Member
Drop a comment below if you like   :)

Offline nastassja

• PS Silver Member
Re: Experimental interpretation of Chopin's Revolutionary Etude
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 01:05:14 PM
It is beautifully played, thanks  for sharing. How long have you been playing that Etude?

Offline chris_master

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 08:40:49 AM
Thank you for listening nastassja !     :)

I have learned it a long time ago and came back to performing it a few months ago.

Have you played it yourself?  It is very satisfying for the audience as an encore I realised.

Offline tripletrobot42

• PS Silver Member
WOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Bravo Maestro!!!! This is an incredibly interesting take on the Revolutionary Etude. Whenever I play this piece, I always feel that the music needs to just push forward with all of the fire and fury one can possibly exert through the instrument. But you seem to get something else out of the music. You seem to see a more beautiful, lyrical side to the music that not many other people see and that's amazing! Wonderful performance! When ever I come around back to this etude, I'll be sure to try out the more lyrical approach you seem to have because it's cool!

Offline chris_master

• PS Silver Member
Thank you so much for your comment tripletrobot42!    Yes, I find that this piece definitely needs fire but only at certain times.  I find the effect much more powerful when I use a bit more of lyrical or mysterious phrasing as a contrast to the explosions of climaxes, especially at the very end.

Thanks again and good luck with your pieces!

Offline storyseller

• PS Silver Member
Bravo!

Love the "inovative" approach! After all the "revolutionary" nickname is not Chopin's.

Keep up the good work!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Very effective!  You bring out the poetry in the music.  Fantastic sense of lyricism. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline chris_master

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 11:03:10 PM
Thank you quantum!   I find Chopin's musical language is very much influenced by polish poetry and rhythm of the language and the way how he writes a phrase or a dramatic gesture in this piece, for example, is very unique. 

Thank you again all for lovely comments!  :D

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 02:30:05 AM
Nice work! Btw after you sit down to play you should wait just a little, give some sense of anticipation and time to let people stop clapping :).
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline medtnerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 04:35:34 PM
Wow, great performance!

I feel kind of stupid, but what makes this performance experimental? Whatever you did it sounded very natural so that means you pulled it off very well.

Offline chris_master

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 12:45:05 PM
Thank you medtnerfan!
I was just experimenting with amount of rubato and  lyricism as the traditional performance practice of this piece is rather focused on bravura and con fuoco.   For me con fuoco means also to have the inner strength and energy between the notes instead of constant outburst of fire.

The success of interpretation also depends a lot on the space where the piece is performed in.

I am so happy with all the positive comments! Thank you :)

Offline debussychopin

Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 06:11:34 PM
Bravo. Crisp.
L'Isle Joyeuse
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert