Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Cocktail/Lounge Piano Course...anyone interested?  (Read 1577 times)

Offline radurodideal

• PS Silver Member
Cocktail/Lounge Piano Course...anyone interested?
on: April 25, 2020, 12:48:57 AM
   Hello guys!
   I was thinking to do a series of videos on cocktail/lounge piano.
   It would be aimed at the intermediate classically trained pianist who wants to start dooing professional gigs and make a living out of playing piano.
   Cocktail piano is a very misunderstood thing it seems, and one needs a particular set of skills in order to get to the level of being payed to play piano in a hotel, restaurant, bar, private event etc.
   Among others, those would be:
- having a repertoire of 3 x 45 minutes (in order to start)
- having a repertoire divers enough to satisfy all ages of crowd and musical taste: from a classical music listener to a 14 year old teenager who is going to be awed if he hears his favourite modern pop song played
- being able to improvise and create an impromptu arrangement of any piece in your repertoire, depending on the mood you want to create or the mood your audience is already in
- being able to sight-read and/or arrange any requested piece from your phone or tablet, on the spot
- playing with a relaxed attitude and without any tension
- and so on....

Would you guys be interested?
Is there generally an interest for this topic?
I have found a lot of material on the internet, but not more that 10% of it is really useful in teaching the tricks of the trade

It took my 5 years to go from a scared classicaly trained pianist at his first hotel gig to making a living out of it, but the process can be done so much faster with the right guidance...

Tell me what you think...

All the best to you!

R.R.

Offline tripletrobot42

• PS Silver Member
Re: Cocktail/Lounge Piano Course...anyone interested?
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 04:59:09 AM
oh my god this is JUST what I need. Yes PLEASE do this. While my classical chops are decent, I can't do this kind of piano playing at all and I really really really need to learn. How many alt accounts do you need me to make to increase your subscriber counts to convince you to do this!? Please I NEED this. Thank you so so so much for considering sharing your skills with us.

Best wishes!

A.W.

Offline robustperson

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 01:35:47 AM
I would be interested in this if it was free on youtube.

Offline radurodideal

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 12:15:25 AM
oh my god this is JUST what I need. Yes PLEASE do this. While my classical chops are decent, I can't do this kind of piano playing at all and I really really really need to learn. How many alt accounts do you need me to make to increase your subscriber counts to convince you to do this!? Please I NEED this. Thank you so so so much for considering sharing your skills with us.

Best wishes!

A.W.

Thank you for your answer and your encouragement! Just what i needed!
Just for personal info, helps me structure my ideas more:
- how long have you been playing piano
- could you name some pieces in your repertoire
- how skilled would you rate yourself in theory and harmony?
        -scales, arpeggios, chords
        -understanding the harmony in the pieces you play

Thank you!

*should you have any suggestions, please let me know

Offline radurodideal

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 12:16:27 AM
I would be interested in this if it was free on youtube.

Thank you for answering.
Yes, it will be free, on youtube.

Thank you!

Offline tripletrobot42

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 11:48:07 PM
Thank you for your answer and your encouragement! Just what i needed!

Thank you!

*should you have any suggestions, please let me know

No problem!!! For something as incredible as what you're offering to do, I'd be criminal not to encourage you!

I have been playing the piano for eight years. To give you an idea of my skill, the most advanced pieces in my repertoire include Bach Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue, Beethoven Appasionata, Chopin Winter Wind Etude and Chopin Scherzo No. 2. My knowledge of theory is pretty basic. For example, if you give me any series of notes I could tell you the chord/scale no problem, and I know generally the functions of chords (i.e., dominant 7th generally wants to resolve because of the tritone, etc.). However, I know nothing about analyzing four-part harmony and chord progressions. In my pieces, I could tell you what chord I'm playing at any given time, however I couldn't tell you how that chord functions and what that means in the context of the piece. So yeah! That's about where I'm at.

Again, thank you so much!

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 06:28:25 AM
I'm interested.

In response to your survey questions:

I'm not really classically trained, and poor at reading sheet music. However, I've been kind of improvising/arranging pieces for a few years now.
- Been playing piano for around 5 years now.

- Pieces in my repertoire: Schubert Impromptu op 90 no 4, Chopin Nocturne op 9 no 2

- Theory and harmony: Equivalent of first semester college harmony (diatonic harmony), as well as a bunch of knowledge about different topics (jazz scales, modulation, etc.) picked up along the way.

-- scales, arpeggios, chords: I know most of the common ones (church modes, whole tone, octatonic scales, etc.; major/minor/diminished/augmented with extensions, etc.) by name and have used them in the past. However, I can't claim to have a really in-depth knowledge of each.

-- understanding the harmony in the pieces I play: I can do this just about fine. I can figure out what the chords are and how they relate according to functional harmony (maybe not perfectly, but it gets the job done). I've completed an online course which taught the basics of four-part harmony, counterpoint, form, etc. but the concepts have grown rusty over time.

I can typically follow most music theory analyses I read and pretty much anything which other Youtube music theory channels (Rick Beato, 8bitmusic, Nahre Sol, etc.) have to say, so I don't think understanding theoretical analyses of any sort would pose a problem.

From my perspective, please pitch the videos to as high a level as you would like to. There's a glut of beginner tutorials on Youtube, and a real scarcity of quality content.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert