Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: How should I practice ?  (Read 697 times)

Offline clmz.k

• PS Silver Member
How should I practice ?
on: April 26, 2020, 08:42:03 PM
Hello,
I would like to know how to practice in the most efficient way ?
I heard that it’s important to warm up first, could you please tell me how should I warm up, I’m kinda confused...

Thank you ☺️

Offline jaro23

• PS Silver Member
Re: How should I practice ?
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 06:41:06 PM
I find very important to warm up first. Question is what level you are at of your piano skills right now.
You see, I am playing for two years now. It was hard to warm up at the very beginning for me because I was learning keyboard by playing separately both hands and not many notes at the time. Learning slowly notes etc.

So what I used at that time to warm up was to play exercises which I already mastered. Then after 10-15 minutes I was practising new exercises, slowly with counting at loud, then with metronome and then speed up a bit till full tempo of exercise.

Right now, once I know few scales + chords + arpeggios. I also play some Hanons to work on technique and sound evenness. Loads of options there.

You see, warm up exercises developed in me while playing and absorbing more skills and knowledge. I am pretty sure that in two years time my warm up will change. What I want to say, it is probably not one accurate way to warm up and I am guessing here, that every person has some different way to warm up.

For me right now Hanons and scales do the job.
At very beginning material previously absorbed did the job.

Try different things. See what suits you the best.

Maybe more advanced players will have something better to add. This is just my experience what I wrote to you.

Keep going. Keep practising. You will find your way.

Offline samwitdangol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 11:25:40 PM
Most of the time I use scales and Hanon to warm-up, as well as arpeggios and broken chords. Sometimes, I may use an old piece or étude to warm-up.

To practice efficiently, you should always have a goal in mind that you want to achieve by the end of the practice session. 

Offline jaro23

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:46:49 AM
To practice efficiently, you should always have a goal in mind that you want to achieve by the end of the practice session. 

Oh yes. That helps a lot as well. Well said :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert