Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: [video] Handel - Chaconne in G major, HWV 435  (Read 819 times)

Offline storyseller

• PS Silver Member
[video] Handel - Chaconne in G major, HWV 435
on: May 05, 2020, 11:35:52 AM
Quarantine practice session with some "varieted" variations in the baroque style. I love this music so much that wanted to share it with you! Everyone plays Bach, but Handel has some great works for keyboard instruments as well - this is maybe his most well-know piece in this category. Hope you enjoy it!

Best wishes!!!

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: [video] Handel - Chaconne in G major, HWV 435
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 06:54:24 PM
I did enjoy that very much.

Unless I've gone completely mental, Scarlatti fils, Handel, and Bach were all born in the same year.  1685 IIRC.

I've never felt like exploring Handel's keyboard music, of which I know there's quite a bit, but that's an excellent COVID-19 project.  I had some of my own but unfortunately I work a day job five days a week and I preferred to play styles (individual styles) I already knew, somewhat.

I applaud your resolve, and you best believe I'll be exploring Handel's music at least in a casual fashion.

Thank you!  That's inspiring to me, and perhaps many others.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline dw4rn

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 12:48:23 PM
I also found that really inspiring. Thanks and well done - You're a great advocate for this music!
Do you have any other Handel pieces to recommend?

Offline storyseller

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 06:40:12 PM
Thank you guys! It was always strange for me how Handel that is considered "standard" repertoire - one of the "Great composer" for opera singers, choral music, even orchestral music, has little or no keyboard repertoire... The truth there are A LOT Handel pieces for piano/clavecin, but noone really plays them nowdays...

I have to admit that there are a lot of mediocre keyboard pieces in his output, but there a quite a few masterworks... Suite in G minor is one of them, and it ends with a wonderfull passacaglia... Also chaconne in D minor, Suite in E major (there are more than 12 suites), even some of his fugues (free-er than Bach's, but still exceptional).

I've posted it before, but here is the g minor passacaglia which is definately worth playing - short duration, memorable tune, the famous Handel chord progression, rather easy to sigh-read, truly beautiful music... (Damn, I was 10 years younger!)

Offline dw4rn

• PS Gold Member
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 08:43:25 AM
Thank you, I liked that one too!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert