Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: 20th Century Repertoire for My Level?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline aaaaaa

• PS Silver Member
20th Century Repertoire for My Level?
on: May 18, 2020, 05:41:12 AM
Hi everyone!

I've been looking for contemporary/20th century repertoire lately as a way to fulfill competition requirements for next year. My teacher suggested Barber's Nocturne op. 33 or Ballade op. 46, but I'm not sure I like either of those pieces enough to put my best effort into them, even after listening to them a good handful of times.

Here are the pieces I've played and performed recently:
-Bach WTC 1 P&F in D Minor
-Mozart Sonata in F Major K332
-Brahms Ballade in G Minor op. 118 no. 3
-Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau op. 33 no 8 in G Minor
-Chopin Etude op. 25 no. 11 "Winter Wind"
-Prokofiev Prelude op. 12 no. 7 "Harp"
-Bartok Suite op. 14 no. 1

and what I'm working on currently:
-Bach WTC 1 P&F in A♭Major
-Beethoven Sonata op. 13 no. 8 "Pathétique"
-Ravel Jeux d'eau (almost performance-ready)
-Liszt Trois Études de Concert no. 1 "Il Lamento"
-planning on starting soon: Saint-Saëns Concerto op. 22 no. 2 in G Minor

(I was devastated to find out that even though it was technically written in 1901, Jeux d'eau doesn't count as 20th-century  :P. )

Anyway, as you can see, I don't have much experience with big 20th-century repertoire, since my past pieces have been pretty short and simple. Also, since Jeux d'eau and Il Lamento are my biggest pieces right now and both are relatively peaceful and fluid, I'm especially looking for intense, fiery pieces that would provide contrast.

Sorry if this is an overdone kind of question. :-\

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds!

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Re: 20th Century Repertoire for My Level?
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 06:04:19 AM
Ginastera 'Malambo'
4'33"

Offline piano_sight_reading

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 11:46:36 PM
Why not look at composers like Henri Dutilleux, Nikolai Kapustin or Christopher Norton?

Offline pianoannieq

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 12:15:03 AM
Hi Aaaaaa,

Kapustin, Rachmaninoff and Prokofiev come to mind for fiery, intense pieces. Kapustin's op.40 has a jazzy feel, but many of them are pretty intense. Rachmaninoff's Etude-Tableaux are very challenging, but they are some of my favourite pieces. I love listening to Prokofiev and it's even more fun to play his pieces! I'm learning his fourth sonata, starting with the last movement, take a listen to his later sonatas :)

Also, Saint Saen's concerto is one of my favourites. If you haven't listened to Rachmaninoff's second and third concerti and Prokofiev's third piano concerto, I highly recommend them as well!
I hate music (and sarcasm) :)

Beethoven Sonata 18
Liszt Rhapsodie Espagnole
Prokofiev Sonata 4 op.29
Scriabin Piano Concerto

Offline aaaaaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 07:00:12 AM
Hi pianoannieq!
I definitely agree with you on Prokofiev, and I've just started learning his Toccata op. 11 in D Minor. It's pretty hard, but very rewarding every time I finally get a tricky phrase. I'll be sure to check out the other pieces you mentioned. Thanks!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert