Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Advanced repertoire for kid with small hands  (Read 1920 times)

Offline hammerklavier

• PS Silver Member
Advanced repertoire for kid with small hands
on: May 23, 2020, 02:56:23 PM
Hello community,
I'm new to this board, and i hope that i post in the right section.
My seven year old daughter is already playing some advanced repertoire, but we are now struggling to find new pieces, as her hands can only reach a 7th.
I was wondering if you could advise me on repertoire that would be suited for her.
To give you an impression of what she plays at the moment.
- J.S. Bach: 6 little preludes, and most of the 2 voice inventions
- W.A. Mozart: Sonata K330, and K570
- C. Debussy: Dr Gradus ad Parnassum and Serenade for the Doll
- B. Martinu: a seslection of Puppets
- E. Chabrier: Scherzo-Waltz
- D. Kabalevski: Sonatine opus 40 no. 1
I appreciate any input.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advanced repertoire for kid with small hands
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 02:27:22 PM
Children's Land , Akiya Yuyama , no interval greater than a 7th
, some individual works will be easier but the whole set comprises About 30 minutes of music and suited for advanced study , Yuyama Is part of standard reaching and children's completion repertoire in Japan
The other work at a higher level but will have some octzves here and there but frequently done by children and those w small hands Is confections a piano sweet

Offline piano_sight_reading

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advanced repertoire for kid with small hands
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 11:41:28 PM
For pianists with small hands, I recommend "Essential Keyboard Repertoire Volume 5: Requiring a Handspan of an Octave or Less". The volume includes baroque, classical, romantic and modern pieces. 

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert