Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Rhythmic analysis help (quintuplets with mixed durations)  (Read 987 times)

Offline stillofthenight

• PS Silver Member

Am I understanding this correctly? Is this even written conventionally or is it very unorthodox? I had someone transcribe me something and I came across it.

This is in 4/4 time and the entire thing lasts for 1 quarter note in duration. I'm confused starting from the G note on the 5 note grouping. I am thinking of it like this:

Starting on the G, the G, A, & Bb notes are simply just how you would begin to play a standard 32nd note quintuplet(i.e 5 notes over an eighth note duration). The last note C visually appears to be lasting as long as the first two 32nd's are. However, it looks like it is implied to last the duration of "X" amount of 32nds to carry out if it was actually written as a standard 32nd note quintuplet.

I am just trying to fit this into the idea of "What if it was just a simple 32nd note quintuplet played over an eighth note". So essentially in it's simplest form it would be 5 notes played against 1. It is not that simple as you can see written, but I try to start basic before I can understand the actual thing.

Please can someone explain how to understand this as simple as possible!

Thank you!

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rhythmic analysis help (quintuplets with mixed durations)
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 11:45:18 PM
Is this any clearer? It's the quarter note divided into two eighth notes, the first one made up from the triplet and the second from the quintuplet.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline stillofthenight

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 11:54:28 PM
Yeah that is along the lines of what I was thinking. The final note I believe lasts two 32nds. Is that correct? It has been a while since I studied this stuff and I am trying to get back into it again.

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 11:57:00 PM
Two quintuplet 32nds.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline stillofthenight

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 12:59:13 AM
I have another problem I ran into:

This is in 4/4 time. Each appears to last for 1 quarter note duration. The first one I understand the C, A , G notes to be 3 triplet sixteenths played over an eighth note. But I cannot understand from the F note how to count the rest.  How can the F to the D possibly be equal to a 1/8 duration?

The next one, starting on the C looks to be a triplet eighth note with a triplet sixteenth (F) inside of it? That one is really confusing me!

Please help.

Thanks!

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert