Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Advice for RH arpeggios in Chopin op 10 no 4 (bars 3, 11)  (Read 1001 times)

Offline judiciary

• PS Silver Member
Hello!

I'm currently working on Chopin's etude op 10 no 4 (Torrent). I've learned the first half or so, up to bar 37. It's not too bad and surprisingly I can already play parts of it at speed. A major bottleneck I've identified so far is (as the title says) the arpeggios in the right hand at bars 3, 11, 53, 61 and probably more. I'm having a lot of trouble hitting these RH notes with precision. Does anyone here have suggestions for this?

Because the broken chords are so spread out, it becomes an series of jumps in the RH and it's quite awkward (at least how I'm doing it right now). Another problem seems to be that as I'm preparing to hit the upper note with my pinky, my thumb drags on the lower notes so I can't get to the rest of the arpeggio in time. Right now my instinct is that I should let my arm do most of the work in moving my hand and use the fingers to "aim". Even still, it doesn't seem that I've found the optimal motion to do this, so I was wondering if anyone might have specific advice.

The fingering I'm using is the one in Cortot's edition. Images of the relevant sections:

Thanks!!

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice for RH arpeggios in Chopin op 10 no 4 (bars 3, 11)
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 09:13:26 PM
I think that Chopin's notation is giving a hint. The second note of the arpeggio is held as an eighth. I think that is a suggestion that as you play that second note you leave the second finger down and use it as a pivot while you bend your wrist to the right to reach the third note with the pinky. As you reach that note, you release the second finger and bring the wrist back in the opposite direction to bring your third finger over the fourth note, and then the thumb over the first note of the next arpeggio. So the whole thing is really just a question of swiveling the wrist right then left then right then left etc as you go through the arpeggios.

Offline samwitdangol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 10:31:48 PM
I think that Chopin's notation is giving a hint. The second note of the arpeggio is held as an eighth. I think that is a suggestion that as you play that second note you leave the second finger down and use it as a pivot while you bend your wrist to the right to reach the third note with the pinky. As you reach that note, you release the second finger and bring the wrist back in the opposite direction to bring your third finger over the fourth note, and then the thumb over the first note of the next arpeggio. So the whole thing is really just a question of swiveling the wrist right then left then right then left etc as you go through the arpeggios.

I never realized that Chopin notated it like that to make it easier for the pianist!

Offline judiciary

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 06:07:48 PM

Oh thank you, just tried this and it makes it a lot more comfortable! (As it turns out I was also strangely using the second finger for both the second and third notes of some of the arpeggios, which was making it awkward -- not sure where that snuck in but I'm glad I got another pair of eyes.) I didn't realize the thing with the eighth notes, that's neat  8)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert