Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Music University Auditions  (Read 518 times)

Offline pianoannieq

• PS Silver Member
Music University Auditions
on: June 14, 2020, 07:40:13 PM
Hi everyone,

*First post, please be nice ;)*
I am a high school student in the United States, and I would like to audition at several colleges to pursue a degree in music! I think I already have my audition program figured out for each school, but I still have a few years ahead of me. Will the panel cut you off or ask you to skip to different parts of pieces? If so, is what is the reason for why they do that? Do they usually listen to your entire audition, even if it is very lengthy? Is there anything else we can expect from the audition process? I'm planning to audition at Eastman, Oberlin, and other schools that are in the United States, so any advice will be greatly appreciated!
I hate music (and sarcasm) :)

Beethoven Sonata 18
Liszt Rhapsodie Espagnole
Prokofiev Sonata 4 op.29
Scriabin Piano Concerto

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Music University Auditions
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 07:12:03 AM
Will the panel cut you off or ask you to skip to different parts of pieces?

Be prepared to stop or start a piece somewhere middle.  In my experience, it is not uncommon to be asked to stop.  The audition jury has a goal in mind when they are listening to you, when they have reached their goal they may ask you to stop.  If time is running short, you may also be asked to play a section of a piece: say the development of a sonata, or the coda of a large romantic work.  The jury usually let's you play at least one complete piece.

Prepare yourself so you know how to start a piece in the middle, and not just work at presenting a complete pieces.  You may not even get to play the part you worked so hard at, or that shows off your best attributes.  If the jury only wants a section, think of what you would want to play. 

Get used to being stopped, because it will happen all throughout your university studies - in lessons, masterclasses, rehearsals, juries, etc. 

Be prepared to answer questions on your audition repertoire.  There may be a viva voce component to the audition, even though it is not officially mentioned in the audition syllabus. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert