Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: sync separate audio/video  (Read 726 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
sync separate audio/video
on: June 28, 2020, 04:07:26 AM
i have a ipad pro with nice camera, but sound not good for piano recording.

i have zoom h5 which makes a nice recording sound..

how do i sync them together> i import both video and audio into imovie, do all the clapping bullsh!t,  but after a minute or two it will just start to get off. there seems to be no way to drag the audio in smaller intervals than like half a second or something. you can't position it with precision...

tried changing sample rate of audio to 48 khz but did nothing

dont' tell me to buy a new microphone for the ipad pro!!!

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: sync separate audio/video
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 04:32:58 AM
Unfortunately I know nothing about iMovie. I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio for all my videos. Can't complain about it because it is PRETTY damn powerful and lets me do what I want, when I want.

You might have to get better software unfortunately.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 07:35:13 AM
Might be an issue with the codec/container.  Some are better suited for work in editing, for archival video, for online distribution, etc.  Try changing the codec/container on your recording devices.  For your audio recording, set the H5 to record in uncompressed WAV.

I'd also recommend using a different NLE.  These kind of problems can be difficult to solve when using an editor designed for general consumers. 

Vegas is good, as perfect_pitch has noted. 

For free, look at Kdenlive (open source).  There is also a free version of DaVinci Resolve.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 05:12:41 PM
The first thing that springs to mind is: is the length of the audio performance the same as the length of the video performance? This might seem like a stupid question, but perhaps the captured video has been dropping frames.

If you can only align the start point in terms of 0.5s units, perhaps work out how far the discrepancy is and add the appropriate duration of silence/ ambient noise to the start of the audio file within a free editor such as Audacity.

Agreed with the other posters, Vegas is good, and you can do things like stretch the duration of the video or segments within it to do a rough compensation for dropped frames if that is what the problem is.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert