Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Why does everybody hate democrats and liberals?  (Read 890 times)

Offline samwitdangol

• PS Silver Member
Why does everybody hate democrats and liberals?
on: July 08, 2020, 11:47:06 PM
Sorry; this is a very random question.

Why do so many people seem to hate democrats and liberals? Republicans and conservatives never get that much hate. Also, if democrats and liberals are getting so much hate, how come they are still so prominent in politics?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Why does everybody hate democrats and liberals?
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 11:59:51 AM

Why do so many people seem to hate democrats and liberals? Republicans and conservatives never get that much hate.

Maybe those who hate republicans and conservatives don't feel necessary to express their hate all over the internet...

Also, if democrats and liberals are getting so much hate, how come they are still so prominent in politics?
Fortunately  those who express themselves by hate speech seldom bother to vote?

Offline medtnerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 03:49:33 PM

Why do so many people seem to hate democrats and liberals? Republicans and conservatives never get that much hate. Also, if democrats and liberals are getting so much hate, how come they are still so prominent in politics?

This depends on where you live. I live in BC, Canada, and here it is more common to see hate towards conservatives, but in the Canadian province of Alberta you'll probably see the opposite.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 05:21:27 PM
This depends on where you live. I live in BC, Canada, and here it is more common to see hate towards conservatives, but in the Canadian province of Alberta you'll probably see the opposite.

Word.  I'm not seeing it.  At least where I'm at.

OTOH, I do see quite a bit of people from the hills coming down and they seem to get quite a bit of Karen-esque tongue-lashing or public snubbing.  Probably not without some justification, that group in the US does feel both magrinalized and emboldened.

In the US at least the striation of political affiliations is crude, and likely drawn in crayon.

But, no, I don't see it manifested as anything more than an urban/rural divide.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline samwitdangol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 05:47:47 PM
Sorry, I should have specified.

I was talking about the USA.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 10:59:12 PM
It's more social programs which means more taxes.  And then potentially it's handing some money out to people who are mooching off the system.... or, poor people who aren't working, who are mooching off the system. 

On the other end, you've got conservative/Republican who are for fewer laws, more for business, don't care about the masses or poor people.  They'd complain about people mooching off the system, but I think they do that too, just in their own way.

From what I understand, the US system was set up to encourage two parties.  Nobody gets what they want, and it slows everything down with a lot of arguing.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline dogperson

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 12:49:19 AM
I dont agree with the premise that more people in the US hate democrats/liberals as this is not reflective in position polling: the majority of  people support what were defined at one-time as liberal causes and policies than ever before. Look at the polls

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 12:17:36 AM
I hate both parties
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 09:29:30 PM
The assumption in your question is false.  Trump/GOP have like . . . -20 approval rating, lost the midterms by 8 points and lost the 2016 race by almost 3 million votes.  The Democratic party is far more popular than the Republican party, their voters just aren't as well-distributed relative to the electoral college/senatorial races, mostly because of New York and California.

Neither party is popular in general, though.  People don't like to identity with a given party, and even when they do it's usually because of negative partisanship ("I'm a Democrat because I hate the Republicans").  We have a high proportion of independents, i.e. people who don't identity with any party.  They're a larger voting group than either the Democrats or Republicans.

There's nothing unusual about how the parties retain power; it's the same as everywhere else.  Once someone becomes a Republican (for example) they watch Fox, they read Breitbart, they pay more attention to their other conservative friends than their progressive ones, they inculcate the slogans, priorities, fears and nebulous 'ideals' of their party of choice in how they talk and think about politics, and it creates a positive feedback loop (often referred to as a 'bubble') where they are constantly feeding themselves more and more of what they already believe until they hold too many self-consistent beliefs to be moved off of their position.  This has definitely been exacerbated by the hyper-partisan mediascape in the US and the constant stream of political content they get from social media, as well as the positive feedback they can get for sharing their usually-dumb opinions with some thumbs up.  Whoever gives them thumbs up, that's which party they'll align with.

The vast majority of American voters are low-information voters who think that reading the headlines that pop up on their Facebook feeds makes them a political expert.  Even a lot of the people constantly crowing on social media don't know hardly anything, they just react to stuff as histrionically as possible.

In the US the Republican voters are especially ignorant, on average; for example, Fox News viewers literally know less about politics than people who don't consume any political media at all, because it is so dishonest.  Being a Republican literally turns you stupider.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert