Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Haydn Concerto in D Major  (Read 1230 times)

Offline sdphins

• PS Silver Member
Haydn Concerto in D Major
on: July 10, 2020, 12:18:45 AM
Hey there,

I feel so stupid asking this question, but I was looking at the score and listening to recordings and I saw that during the beginning of the score the piano is notated as it should be playing, but when watching it performed the pianist didnít begin until the first solo. I was just wondering the reason for this.

Link to performance

Link to sheet music

https://imslp.simssa.ca/files/imglnks/usimg/2/28/IMSLP442185-PMLP29486-haydnpianoconcertoinDmajorscore.pdf

Thank you guys!

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haydn Concerto in D Major
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 10:22:05 AM
There was a time early in the Classical period when the piano in a piano concerto functioned both as a soloist and as part of the basso continuo; in some of the Mozart piano concertos the piano part has a bass line and figured bass notation when it is not playing as a soloist. Eventually, within the lifetime of Mozart, it became obvious that this dual function took away from the drama of the pianist in conversation or conflict with the orchestra which is a key part of classical concertos. There's a brief discussion of this issue in Charles Rosen's "The Classical Style."

Offline sdphins

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haydn Concerto in D Major
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 07:14:11 PM
Ahhhh, that makes sense.

Thank you!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert