Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: In need of an underrated substantial romantic work.  (Read 2290 times)

Offline illystraiter

• PS Silver Member
I'm sad because I just found out Chopin's nocturnes are not considered "substantial" romantic works. What would then be considered substantial enough for an audition? I know the obvious answers are Chopin Ballades and Scherzos, but I would like something a little bit more under the radar, more of a hidden gem. In general I like more obscure works by major composers (Chopin, Schumann, Brahms, Liszt, Mendelssohn, etc.) instead of works by obscure composers.
Anyone have suggestions?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: In need of an underrated substantial romantic work.
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 04:54:02 PM
Chopin Rondo Op 16

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 05:25:31 PM

My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline kc_gracie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 05:17:18 AM
Hi. Not sure what your audition if for or what level of difficulty you have in mind. Regardless, I will include some links to some pieces that I absolutely adore by some pretty large composers. Most of these are not as well played as many of their more popular works.

And, to go with what some people have already shared, I really like the suggestions of the Medtner Sonata and the Liszt Pensee des Morts. I play this Liszt piece and if is so powerful if played well and can have a dramatic effect on people. It literally gives me chills every time the piece enters into the moonlight-esque section in the second half. Just breathtaking.

-KC

Liszt - Benediction de Dieu dans la Solitude

This is one of my absolute favorite Liszt pieces and is so much fun to play. Along with Pensee des Morts, this piece just induces so much emotion. I feel that this piece is very underrated and an absolute joy to listen to and play. Also a very emotional and breathtaking piece.

Liszt - Valle d'Obermann

Although I wouldn't really say this piece is underplayed or anything, I still don't feel like it is played too much and, I believe, is underrated in comparison to many of the things Liszt wrote. This may be my favorite Liszt piece because of the story that is portrayed by the music. An absolute joy to play as well.

Scriabin - Fantasy in B minor

Scriabin - Sonata No. 4 (or any of his sonatas really, and they are all pretty awesome and very, very different, even amongst themselves)

Grieg - Ballade

Franck - Prelude, Aria, and Finale

Beethoven - Fantasia in G minor

Mendelssohn - Caprice in F-sharp Minor

Mendelssohn - Fantasie in F-sharp Minor

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 07:48:44 PM

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 03:19:44 AM
Andrew is probably too modest to suggest it but why not ask him about his Concerto for Solo Piano ?
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 05:18:08 PM
Andrew is probably too modest to suggest it but why not ask him about his Concerto for Solo Piano ?

Far too modest for that  ;D
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 03:05:39 PM
Far too modest for that  ;D
Your work speaks for itself ! 😎😎

PS honerable mention /understated addl suggestion
A but shorter than some of the other goodies but might work

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 03:07:16 PM
And something "grand"

Sort of like a Liszt Hungarian Rhap but mixed w some Tchaikovsky Dumka, and some spicier folk tune elements

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 08:23:53 AM
Not as difficult as most of the suggestions:

Not sure there's such a thing as obscure Chopin, but maybe the Fantasy Op. 49 is comparatively uncommon?

For Liszt, the Ballade No. 2 is less difficult than most of his virtuoso stuff (and less difficult than the suggestions above).  The Polonaise No. 1 is very rare and a great piece, and the 2nd Polonaise is quite tough and less uncommon, but also clocks in at about 8' only.  Both are definitely virtuoso works:

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 02:14:31 PM
Not as difficult as most of the suggestions:

Not sure there's such a thing as obscure Chopin, but maybe the Fantasy Op. 49 is comparatively uncommon?

For Liszt, the Ballade No. 2 is less difficult than most of his virtuoso stuff (and less difficult than the suggestions above).  The Polonaise No. 1 is very rare and a great piece, and the 2nd Polonaise is quite tough and less uncommon, but also clocks in at about 8' only.  Both are definitely virtuoso works:

Excellent

Agreed

Along that line op 46 allegro de concert has no reason I can understand as to why it gets ignired relative to other pieces I his output , this one has its origin likely as beginning of his third concerto , letters to multiple people to and from attest and support this , for whatever reason never fleshed out fully so we get it in this form,.  I like this and if I was gonna pick up a meaty work of his , this is at the top of my list

Offline presto-con-fuoco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 10:16:51 PM
I'll put in a second vote for Liszt's Ballade no. 2. It can be really effective. I think Scriabin Sonata 4 and Sonata 2 are played pretty often, but both of them are excellent. Another Medtner Sonata that works well is the Sonata Tragica in C minor (pretty tough!). Up to you whether or not it's fully romantic or if you would consider it more 20th century, but check out Samuil Feinberg's first sonata - definitely not played often, I think it's beautiful. (it's a sort of chromatic romanticism that is very reminiscent of Scriabin.)

Offline michzxl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 03:30:48 AM

Offline lowk-_-y

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 03:31:49 AM
Definitely underrated

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert