Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: La campanella practice  (Read 1412 times)

Offline prodigybegginer

• PS Silver Member
La campanella practice
on: November 10, 2020, 05:09:56 AM
I am practicing la campanella, i need help with some variations in la campanella so i need you're help tho im still 2nd grader in ABRSM

Offline prodigybegginer

• PS Silver Member
Re: La campanella practice
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 05:10:41 AM

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 06:24:22 AM
Lol can't tell if you're being serious. If you're a prodigy and currently doing grade 2, you must be 5 years old or something.

There was another thread a few months back by another beginner trying to learn La Campanella. You should check that out. By and large, you will get the same answers.

Offline prodigybegginer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 04:31:40 AM
dude i am 11 and i can play chopin

Offline dogperson

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 04:38:00 AM

Newsflash: that doesn’t make you a prodigy

Offline prodigybegginer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 05:44:26 AM

Newsflash: that doesn’t make you a prodigy

Plot twist: i also play alkan and many more

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 06:28:05 AM
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here since you say you're 11.

First of all, a prodigy is someone who achieves an adult level of expertise by the time they are 10 years old. So, you're not a prodigy.

That doesn't mean you can't be reasonably talented. However, there is no way anyone here can assess that if all you say is that you "play Chopin and Alkan". What pieces, and to what level? That makes all the difference. Being able to play a Chopin waltz at that age is quite normal. Post some recordings here (no need for video if that's not your thing), so that people can get a better idea.

If you are indeed playing Chopin and Alkan as you claim, why on earth are you still "grade 2"? You know you're allowed to skip grades, right?

The advice you need to learn La Campanella will hugely depend on your current skill level and experience. Take the analogy of a reasonably hard school subject such as calculus. The advice I've given people regarding calculus has varied from "just skim through the textbook" to "take a course" or even "spend several months fixing your geometry and algebra, and then trigonometry". Same thing with the piano. It really depends on your current level.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 06:51:55 AM
That really isn't such a big deal.

It's how you play Chopin that makes the difference.

fwiw, "beginner" has 1 g, and 2 n's.

Offline prodigybegginer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 12:55:32 PM
First, ok i'll take your advice ,ranjit

Second, i can't do videos and/or record videos

Third, as in chopin, i meant the etudes opus 25 and op 10,ballades and scherzos

Fourth, as in alkan, i meant le preaux and/or etude op 39 no 5 "scherzo diabolico"

and Fifth, even if i can skip grades i will still need to learn the basics in ABRSM

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 04:08:01 PM
Have you done the repertoire you've mentioned with the aid of a piano teacher?
If so, why wouldn't you ask your teacher about campanella?
Surely, they (your teacher) would be in a far better position to address your concerns
than those of us responding online.
If you don't have a teacher, then, you would need to take on this task, fully, from the 'prodigy' mind of your abilities.  Though, you may access videos on how to, in a practical sense, take this piece on.
4'33"

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 07:52:10 AM
La Campanella is a step up from many of the Chopin etudes. If you have a teacher, you should be able to ask them.

It still depends on what level you play the pieces at. Do you play the Chopin etudes, Le Preux etc at tempo and fluently? Don't get me wrong, if you can actually play those pieces, you may be really good, although it's hard to say for sure without a recording.

I assume you have read through the piece already. In that case, people might be willing to help out if you mention specific sections of the piece that you need help with.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 10:07:26 AM
I am practicing la campanella, i need help with some variations in la campanella so i need you're help tho im still 2nd grader in ABRSM

I think we can clearly label this user as a troll. Apparently played Chopin and Alkan and yet is doing 2nd grade ABRSM??? C'mon - the easiest Chopin piece is Grade 5 AMEB, so there's no way he's a prodigy. He's pulling your leg...

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert