Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: I've decided "rests" are NOT really "rests"!  (Read 838 times)

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
I've decided "rests" are NOT really "rests"!
on: November 30, 2020, 11:35:27 PM
Hi all,

Yes, time for another one of my whacked out posts.

It seems that I (for some reason unbeknownst to me) think that I should be doing nothing during a rest. After all, I'm NOT playing a note, right? Hmmm... maybe it was 10 years of clarinet that caused this, shall I say, "Laziness"?

Anyway, I decided that (besides being a nut job) that I'm also an idiot.

These are some things I now do during a "rest":

1. I can look ahead and maybe not lose my place.
2. This is a good time Joseph for a hand shift. What exactly are you waiting for? A bus?
3. I can think ahead about the shape of the phrase, articulation, dynamics. etc.
4. Maybe there's time to feel the hand shift without having to look?
5. Oh wait, it's a rest, there is time to look at that hand shift. So, Joseph look!
6. Think about balance between the hands and voicing.
7. Mentally, prepare myself.
8. I just feel I can be more involved with what's going on and what's about to happen.
9. I may just scratch my nose, fix my glasses, sneeze or have a sip of water.
10. Shift my body weight, slide my hand in or out. Just exactly, how foolish have I been?
11. Turn the page.

Why let a perfectly good "rest" pass me by?

I don't know. It just seems like a wasted opportunity to just sit there (like the dummy I am) and do Zilch!

I can do that hand crossing, finger substitution, crossing under, expansion or contraction.

Anything you might add about rests will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Joe.

P.S. Please pardon my insults to myself but I can't help but feel that everyone else knew this already and somehow I didn't.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: I've decided "rests" are NOT really "rests"!
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 11:42:18 PM
A rest is a silence.  At least in the music.  For the performer, I suppose it could be the reaction to the sound, the instant/reaction-creating for the silence, and/or the build up to the next sound, possibly including a prep like a breath.  It's not nothing even though it is.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 01:25:25 AM
As a teacher I often need to remind my students to "play" the rests. I treat rests like notes that begin not by striking the key but by releasing it. Rests play a very important roll in the music. You should learn to listen to them.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 04:22:00 AM
Why let a perfectly good "rest" pass me by?

Indeed.  It's not something I've thought about a lot, except having always considered rests to be just notes in themselves.

Just very quiet notes.

I suppose I just unconsciously count off in my head (or sometimes consciously perform this task), but mostly think about the piece as a whole and what's being achieved at those moments of silence and prepare for the next moment of attack.

Not a very deep observation from me, but that's what I do.

Oh, ETA. like klavieronin says, there are a few more-or-less subtle ways to "play" the rests:  all I know is that I prepare for the rests just as much as beginning after the rest.  If using pedal?  When to cut it off!  Or partially clear the dampers.  I'm not much of a Liberace-style showperson when it comes to great histrionic gestures, even so, sometimes I like to engrain the habit by moving the relevant hand (it depends on the piece, of course:  not always possible) away from the keyboard completely. 

While still listening, of course, to the demands of the piece and remaining very much aware of the tasks required that await the pianist.

My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 07:44:27 AM
Sometimes, this is how I conceptualize a rest (depending on the context):

Keep the audience waiting... keep the audience waiting... BAM! ;D

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 07:56:52 AM
Sometimes, this is how I conceptualize a rest (depending on the context):

Keep the audience waiting... keep the audience waiting... BAM! ;D

Exactly.

I don't often wear the cape when performing, but when I do, that's how it's done.

;D
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 08:05:56 AM
I've found it to be very effective to prolong a rest past its stated duration, waiting for the moment where the notes will surprise the listener the most. It's an awesome way to make use of a rest.

Something to think about -- and I wonder if purists will hate the idea for not sticking to the score in some way.

Offline pianowhisper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 08:25:46 AM
I remember a video on András Schiff mentioning the importance of rests and how music is also made out of them.
I believe it's of absolute importance to "play" the rests and be able to show how silence can say a lot too. Silence can have such a powerful effect, even more than a bunch of notes forming a phrase or any "filler" that has nothing really to add to the musical concept/idea the piece carries within itself.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert