Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Major or Minor pieces?  (Read 863 times)

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Major or Minor pieces?
on: January 04, 2021, 05:11:47 PM
Hello,
So I was going over my repertoire yesterday and polishing some of my pieces and I observed is that out of all the 9 pieces in my repertoire 8 are minor and I was just wondering if most people like me generally liked pieces in minor keys more than pieces in major keys.I just don’t feel the same interest in most pieces in major keys as I do to pieces in minor keys. Idk why I like them. Maybe because the 5 chord section of the piece is really beautiful? Idk I just generally like playing minor pieces and listening to them a lot more than major pieces. And I feel like composers’ pieces in minor keys are a lot more beautiful. For example most of Mozart’s pieces are major but when he goes into minor it’s really beautiful. Does anyone else feel like they like pieces in minor keys a lot more than pieces in major keys in general? Is something wrong with me?

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Major or Minor pieces?
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 05:35:13 PM
My daughter is not particularly into classical music. But whenever she hears me practicing and says she likes what I'm playing at the moment, it's always something in a minor key. You're not alone.

Offline achoo42

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 08:53:05 PM
There is nothing wrong with preferring major or minor pieces. It must be said that most great works have a combination of major and minor elements in them—for example, the Schubert Fantasy in C Major has a stunning c-sharp minor middle section, while the Liszt Sonata in B minor has triumphant major key sections.

Offline illystraiter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 05:21:38 PM
I used to be super into minor keys, just like you I found most of the repertoire I was playing was in minor. Over time I kind of got sick of minor, now I'm in love with major, I'm currently balancing ten pieces and only two are in minor. I just find major more fun and enjoyable to play, I feel more motivated if I am smiling while practicing.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert