Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Steinway rebuilder?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline macallan-18

• PS Silver Member
Steinway rebuilder?
on: April 15, 2003, 02:25:52 AM
I have a 1919 Steinway "O" I am finally ready to have professionally rebuilt and was wondering if anyone can recommend a particular rebuilder/refinisher -- West Coast preferrably, but would consider shipping back east if necessary.  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Offline Bosendorfer_214

• PS Silver Member
Re: Steinway rebuilder?
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 05:50:56 AM
I know of a good rebuilder in Cave Creek, Arizona (near Phoenix).  They specialize in old Steinways and Mason & Hamlins.  They do soundboard replacements if absolutely necessary.  I wouldn't recoment a new board unless the old one is absolutely shot.  They can also repair the original boards with shims... etc...  They do everything.  Their prices are reasonable also.  They did a rebulid job for my teacher a while back, he is very happy with it.  If you give me your e-mail address I will send you the shop's contact info.  There are also has a couple O's at the shop that he will sell rebuilt.  One is NY and the other is Hamburg.

Nic
Pianists are like firecrackers, they blow up sooner or later.

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 07:09:53 AM
Dear macallan-18,
Is your Steinway an American built one or was it made in Hamburg? In my book on the New York Steinway and Sons there is reference to the model A 6', the model M 5'6" and the model S 5'1" inaugurated in 1936 but no mention of the model O which is possibly German made.
For an heirloom piano of such quality I would suggest that you had it rebuilt at Steinway and Sons in New York.  If you can be absolutely sure of a more local restorer then you could risk it but I would be very wary of having such a fine instrument reconditioned by someone in whom you did not have absolute trust and confidence in terms of professionalism and craftmanship.

It is like choosing a surgeon for a critical operation.

Rebuilding a piano is a major financial investment and to safeguard that commitment I would  entrust my piano only to the best restorer there is.

Best wishes for your project.
Robert.

Offline macallan-18

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 09:51:13 AM
It is a Hamburg "O", 5 feet 10 & 1/2 inches.  Your advice is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 12:07:52 PM
Thank you macallan-18 for that information.  I am sure you will never regret it if you have a first class restoration.  It will be a first class instrument for you for life.
Regards,
Robert.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert