Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: university audition level?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline taraweaver

• PS Silver Member
university audition level?
on: January 11, 2021, 08:05:02 PM
Hello!
I may be applying to study music composition at universities in a couple years. I was wondering what level of pieces are expected to be played at auditions?
I'm currently playing (among other pieces):

Bach 2-part invention no. 4 (an easier-piece from last year)
Chopin Waltz op. 69 no. 1
I'm soon to start Mozart sonata 545

How close am I to audition level and what are some example of audition-level pieces?

Thanks!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: university audition level?
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 01:55:37 AM
For performance auditions, it is common practice for a university to put out a syllabus of expected repertoire.  You need to check in with ever school you intend to apply and view their audition requirements. 

For composition, it is common to be asked to present a portfolio of works. 

If a performance audition is required when applying to be a composition major, it is likely to have less demanding requirements as a performance major. 

When you gather specific audition details from each school, we would be able to help with more detailed responses. 

Some suggestions for preparing some general audition repertoire:
Prepare at least two contrasting pieces, preferably from different time periods.  Avoid choosing too many overplayed pieces.  If you do choose to play an overplayed piece, you can balance it by pairing it with lesser known music.  There might be a required piece, such as a contemporary composer, or a piece of certain nationalistic origin (typically the same as the country the school is located in). 

Take a look at some of the easier Bach WTC Preludes and Fugues.  You might want to choose a different Mozart sonata.  You will probably need an impressionist work, or something late 19c or early 20c. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline taraweaver

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 03:44:56 AM
Hello, thanks for the response. A few universities I am looking at seem to list these for audition repertoire:

Prelude and Fugue of Bach
A classical sonata - (one said "one sonata . . . of medium difficulty)?
A solo piece from the Romantic repertoire
A fast etude
A work by a 20th or 21st century composer

My question, though, is what difficulty pieces? E.g., is Chopin Waltz op. 69 no. 1 a difficult enough Romantic piece? Also, is Mozart's 545 to easy? Do you have any other recommendations for a sonata?
I don't think my teacher is familiar with American Universities auditions expectations so I can't ask him. Thanks for all help!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 06:17:37 AM
Prelude and Fugue of Bach typically means a selection from WTC. 

Classical Sonata. 
Stay away from K545, it is both frequently played and on the easier side.  If you like Mozart, look at the other Sonatas.  With Mozart, a good amount of the challenges are with musical understanding and interpretation. 

If you want to explore Beethoven, Op 10/1 or Op 14/1 would be about medium difficulty.

"Solo piece from the Romantic repertoire" sounds like they are asking for either a lyrical piece or virtuosic piece that is typical of the era, something you can dig deep into.    Chopin Op 69/1 is likely not substantial enough.  If you like Waltzes - Chopin Op 34/1.  One of the Polonaises from Op 26 or Op 40.  Don't be surprised if some of your fellow applicants program one of the Scherzos or Ballades here. 

Additional Romantic suggestions could be: a Schubert Impromptu from Op 90 or 142, Mendelssohn Song without Words Op 53/1, Tchaikovsky, Op 37, nos 2, 7, 8, 11, or 12. 

20th/21st century.  This covers a diverse variety of styles.  I would choose something that contrasts with all your other selections.  It is a great opportunity present a piece of music the jury has never heard before. 

A fast etude.  Many people may choose from Chopin Op 10 or 25, or Liszt Transcendental, or Rachmaninoff Op 33 or Op 39.  Choose something that demonstrates your technical ability in fast music.  You don't have to choose super difficult music, just show you can handle a fast etude. 

If you want a broad survey of a selection of pieces at similar difficulties, lookup the RCM Piano Syllabus (it's online).  Look at the selections for Grade 10 and ARCT.  Also look at the musicianship tests, as you will likely have to do something similar in your audition. 

Another thing, prepare for a viva voce about your repertoire selection at your audition, even if it is not explicitly listed as an audition requirement.  Juries like it when you can demonstrate you know something about the music you have chosen, and do more to further your musical knowledge than just sitting at the instrument. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline taraweaver

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 03:22:50 PM
Quantum, Thanks! This will be great help to know what to plan for!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert