Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Czerny Fingering  (Read 803 times)

Offline keys1970

• PS Silver Member
Czerny Fingering
on: January 21, 2021, 03:32:40 AM
I am playing a few Czerny collections:  Opus 599, 718, and 821.  Are the fingerings considered “correct” for those passages, or perhaps are they considered slightly alternative in order to develop the fingers?  They seem somewhat different than what I would normally do.

Offline ljvankuiken

• PS Silver Member
Re: Czerny Fingering
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 05:11:42 PM
The fingerings that many consider to be strange or unnatural are the fingerings Czerny chose not so much to develop the fingers but moreso to develop a technique for navigating the hands across the keyboard. The is why they are Etudes or Studies. It's frightening when I read teachers saying they are discarding Czerny's fingering in favor of the more natural fingerings you mentioned. It kind of misses the point.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 07:59:02 PM
I had a quick look around in these and don't see any weird fingerings. Do you have some examples?

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 02:42:23 AM
User logged on to post his message, and hasn't been back since. I doubt you're going to get a response anytime... ever.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 03:40:31 AM
User logged on to post his message, and hasn't been back since. I doubt you're going to get a response anytime... ever.

Well that really puts a crust on my pie:  I wanted to know exactly which Czerny fingerings were bad, so I could be appropriately humbled.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert