Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: 5-10 minute pieces  (Read 867 times)

Offline tomekpoz_

• PS Silver Member
5-10 minute pieces
on: February 12, 2021, 01:01:58 AM
I have a recital in a few months time, and I'm looking for a few additional pieces to go alongside Hummel's sonata in E flat (op. 13 no. 2), Debussy's Les soirs illuminees and Juliusz Zarebski's Polonaise (op. 28). Nothing more difficult than these, I only have a dipABRSM so I can't take on anything like Vers la flamme but suggestions for short (5-10 minute) pieces to add on the top?
Thank you!

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: 5-10 minute pieces
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 05:01:59 PM
Hello! Personally, if I have a program with many relatively unknown pieces (I would put your pieces in that category), I prefer throwing in something well-known or even a "war horse" for contrast. For example, in one recital I combined well-known Bach Preludes and Fugues (though I think only the first and maybe the second were known to the audience) with a lesser-known Beethoven sonata and some famous and non-famous Chopin Nocturnes. But all of those are more known composers and pieces than what you have so maybe it's not a good comparison :P

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert