Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: SILENT Yamaha Grand Piano  (Read 1085 times)

Offline blancanieves240

• PS Silver Member
SILENT Yamaha Grand Piano
on: February 22, 2021, 06:43:45 PM
Hi!  I am considering a SILENT Yamaha GC1 Grand Piano.
Does anyone have an opinion and/or experience using these? 
Have you found the sound or feel changes at all?
Any disadvantages to buying one?

Many thanks!   :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: SILENT Yamaha Grand Piano
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:28:57 PM
What exactly are you looking for in a grand piano?  To put it another way, what are your concerns about your current piano such that you want an upgrade?  What do you want to do that your current piano does not allow? 

Are you asking about a different piano than your other thread?  So in this case a silent version of the GC1?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline chouca

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 07:02:38 AM
The GC1 is a very nice piano and I'm positively surprised by its sound considering its size. I've got a 2006 with a Genio silent system. The Genio silent system affects the ability to play ppp in a slightly negative way as the silent system demands letoff to be a little bigger. Nothing dramatic though. I haven't tried the Yamaha silent system so I don't know how that works.

Offline blancanieves240

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 07:32:14 PM
What exactly are you looking for in a grand piano?  To put it another way, what are your concerns about your current piano such that you want an upgrade?  What do you want to do that your current piano does not allow? 

Are you asking about a different piano than your other thread?  So in this case a silent version of the GC1?

I have already decided on the GC1, but am considering a SILENT one because it will be in a small apartment, so I wanted to get your opinions on the Silent feature of this piano (or I guess any Yamaha grand piano). Thanks!  :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 08:37:04 PM
I have already decided on the GC1, but am considering a SILENT one because it will be in a small apartment, so I wanted to get your opinions on the Silent feature of this piano (or I guess any Yamaha grand piano). Thanks!  :)

In that case I would also recommend looking at a two piano solution, a non-silent GC1 plus a digital piano or stage piano.  One might be able to get more versatility out of an acoustic + digital, such as the portability of a digital moving it around, or using it alongside your computer.  One could also play both acoustic + digital at the same time. 

Do you think you would be using the GC1 in silent mode most of the time, or just occasionally such as night time practice?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline blancanieves240

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 09:11:23 PM
In that case I would also recommend looking at a two piano solution, a non-silent GC1 plus a digital piano or stage piano.  One might be able to get more versatility out of an acoustic + digital, such as the portability of a digital moving it around, or using it alongside your computer.  One could also play both acoustic + digital at the same time. 

Do you think you would be using the GC1 in silent mode most of the time, or just occasionally such as night time practice?

Thanks, that is a good idea, I actually already have a digital piano but I won't have much room for two pianos at my new place  :(  the grand piano is already at the limit of being too big for the space LOL.   I think it would be in silent mode just occasionally for night-time practice.  Do you think playing it silent mode still allows for same quality of sound and feel??  I'm not a concert pianist or anything BTW, I will sometimes take out an old classical piece but am now more focused on jazz, boleros etc
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert