Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: La Campanella technique question(s)  (Read 2275 times)

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
La Campanella technique question(s)
on: February 04, 2005, 05:59:32 AM
I just wanted to know what fingering you all use in the section where the right hand trills for a long time while the left hand plays the melody, and the right hand has to play the thumb too.

Also I was wondering what fingering to use for the section right after the repeated notes in the right hand, where the right hand trills while the thumb switches notes.

These two parts slow me down every time.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: La Campanella technique question(s)
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 10:11:19 AM
Bar 84 I am assuming onwards:

For Rh, it is not a continuous trill, there is a quaver break between each group of 4 demisemi(3 tails) quavers notes, so that gives you some time to line up your D# octaves. I use (13) for the D# octaves, and the 4th to play the E.
The RH acts only to outline/highlight the LH melody.
Note, there are 6 of these thumb beats per bar, and you should have a slight accent on the 1st and 4th, which is encouraged by the phrasing of the melody.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 08:51:26 PM
Wow, thank you very much.

2 questions..................

1.  What do you mean by a break?  Do you mean that after you play the thumb each time, you draw it back to the hand and then bring it away again for the next D sharp? 

2.  How do you finger the section after the repeated notes in the right hand?  Where the right hand trills and the thumb switches notes (in 16ths while the trill is 32nds)  I believe that it is measure 68

This section always slows me down and causes me to tense up.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 04:01:20 AM
In bar 85 onwards,  try playing the both hands neglecting RH thumb.
You see that the RH is just a continuous little group highlighting the melody, it is like they act as one. You will find that there must be a little slight pause before you play the D#E D#E again with the next note in the LH melody. You do not allow the trill to be totally continous.

(for bars 86,88,90)
Considering the Thumb in the RH, it should remain closer to the keyboard when you play the 2,3,5,6th D# semiquavers(2tails) . But the 1st and 4th D# semi-quavers that the thumb plays should draw up a little, encourage a lift, and downward drop. This is encouraged through the LH phrasing.

Bar (87,89,91) seems to requires more drops of the RH thumb, because the 3rd quaver(D#) in the LH melody is by itself, so it has to be hilghlighted slightly with the RH 1 dropping, and then immediately the 4th note again should be highlighed with the RH thumb. Its not necessary, but it sounds better I think.

measure 68ish after the repeated G# C# chord in the RH. id use 2 for the first RH semiquaver then just 1 for the rest. Treat Rh as three groups, accenting each note that the new group of 4, demisemiquavers(3tail) produces above the staff.

for the Lh id use. 5    (34)(13)(12)      5      (25)(15)(14) or (25)(14)(13)
www.pianovision.com

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 04:13:37 AM
wonderful.  Thank you, you have been much help.

One final question.  For measure 68 (the trills with thumb switching), would you use a pinky or ring finger for the top note?

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 04:19:46 AM
www.pianovision.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert