Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Struggle No.1  (Read 660 times)

Offline lettersquash

• PS Silver Member
Struggle No.1
on: February 27, 2021, 07:20:58 PM
Slightly frustrated that I can't yet upload a rendition of the pieces I'm learning, I thought I'd share an improv. Just listened to some other stuff here and nearly didn't bother, but what the hell. I've suffered through this, why shouldn't you? ;D
Overstrung upright, 2021-02-27, Yorkshire, England.
Recorded on a Sony IC (small stereo mp3 recorder) and then I trimmed and de-amplified in Audacity.

"Struggle music" was my mum and dad's name for most of the modern classical stuff they tried to listen to in the '70s. This improv is failed harmonic loveliness descending into faux avant-garde.
Sorry if I don't reply for a while - I'm not getting notifications from this site.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: Struggle No.1
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 08:49:58 PM
I say it's job well done.

Maybe question you a bit about use of the pedal, but you go from Bach to Scriabin in a few short moments. 

I especially like the term "struggle" applied to music:  it's in Am. US idiom to say, like "suffer, child!" as to mean encouragement when somebody's starting a solo in a jazz piece for example.

Yeah, struggle on!  You did good.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline lettersquash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 09:47:18 PM
I say it's job well done.

Maybe question you a bit about use of the pedal,
Yeah. It was a shock when I listened to it back! I had no idea I'd used it that much - horrible. I think it might be an unconscious attempt to mush things so you don't notice how awful it is! I was particularly annoyed because I've been avoiding the pedal as much as possible in my practice pieces - especially in Bach's Prelude No. 1 in C.

but you go from Bach to Scriabin in a few short moments. 
You're a funny guy - I'm still chuckling about "What happens if you turn it up to eleven?" - but that's the best yet. I just wonder which art form I should master next week.

I especially like the term "struggle" applied to music:  it's in Am.
It's in a key?! Brill. Struggle No.1 in A minor. Much better.

US idiom to say, like "suffer, child!" as to mean encouragement when somebody's starting a solo in a jazz piece for example.

Yeah, struggle on!  You did good.
Cheers, mate. :)
Sorry if I don't reply for a while - I'm not getting notifications from this site.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 12:28:14 AM
Nice improv!

I found the harmonies quite lovely, it has a Baroque / Impressionist mix feel to it.  There is also a part where it sounds Schubertian. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline lettersquash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 01:04:20 AM
Many thanks, quantum, I'm delighted. Your improvs are amazing, you're one of the artists that made me hesitate to post. I'm glad I did. I learned a lot from it. There are some lovely moments in this, as luck would have it. :)

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 09:36:15 AM
I didn't have a problem with the pedalling at all, tbh. Any blurs seemed to fit in well with the more adventurous harmonies (the dim. seconds, for example).
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 12:18:52 AM
Many thanks, quantum, I'm delighted. Your improvs are amazing, you're one of the artists that made me hesitate to post. I'm glad I did. I learned a lot from it. There are some lovely moments in this, as luck would have it. :)

There was a time when I was hesitant to share my improvisations. In university, there were relatively few classical pianists interested in improvisation.  Despite this, I continued to practice improvisation on my own thinking that there was little interest in my funny sounding improvs.  I gathered up some courage to share a few improvisations with other musicians, and that is when the realization came that there indeed was interest.  The point being, sharing led to collaboration which led to growth.  I became a better improviser because of the decision to put music out there.  Sharing improvisation also led me to find a community of like minded improvisers with which to exchange ideas. 

Do continue to share your improvisations!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert