2 (5.6%)
Opus posth. in C-sharp minor
1 (2.8%)
Opus posth, in C minor
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: April 08, 2021, 05:06:18 AM

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Nocturnes: Which are your favorites?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline billym

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Nocturnes: Which are your favorites?
on: March 25, 2021, 05:06:18 AM
I am aware that Chopin's nocturnes are discussed somewhat too frequently. But I haven't really gotten a beneficial measure of which ones knowledgeable people believe stand out the most. Please vote for your top 5. "Favorite" can mean which ones are the most meaningful for you personally as well as which ones you think are the musically best, most innovative, or most important. I cast my vote for Op 9 no 3, Op 15 no 2, Op 27 no 2, Op 48 no 1 and Op 62 no 1. I appreciate your response! :)
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. It's solid advice tbh.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Chopin Nocturnes: Which are your favorites?
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 09:46:31 PM
I believe you'll get quite evenly spread out votes with some small peaks on the most famous ones, they're all so good :D I happen to like some of the less famous ones, such as the first two of Op 15, the two nocturnes op 55 and Op 27 no 1. Had I been allowed a sixth vote I'd voted for Op 62 no 2 as well.

Offline billym

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 01:58:23 AM
Yes, that is already the pattern starting to unfold. I am wishing that I had left this poll open forever because there may be some traffic on the post later on.. oh well. And I'd have to agree with your assessment, they are incredible. Funny coincidence, Op 62 no 2 was my sixth choice as well!

Offline thirtytwo2020

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 08:31:25 AM
Yeah, this is hard :)
I was glad to see that I was not the only one voting for op 37 no 2!
Also went for both op 48 and both op 62, no 1 of which I think I might have listed even if the question had been "which is your favourite piano piece?"...

Offline billym

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 05:50:26 PM
Yes... it is way hard. I'm glad you chose Op 37 no 2. The opus 37 pair is probably the most underrated pair of nocturnes Chopin wrote. Thus I'm sad to see Op 37 no 1 with no votes.. it would have been my seventh choice probably. I'd agree with you all the way with opus 62 as well. When I was first getting into the nocturnes I didn't even get recordings for the Opus 62, (stupid me) so it wasn't until a few months later that I listened to them and man, did it blow me away. The ornaments in Op 62 no 1... to say they are beautiful is an understatement. And then Op 62 no 2 gives me the impression that Chopin somehow knew that this would be the last nocturne he would compose.. it's an appropriate farewell nocturne, so to speak. And it's absolutely sublime.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 05:56:01 PM
Yes... it is way hard. I'm glad you chose Op 37 no 2. The opus 37 pair is probably the most underrated pair of nocturnes Chopin wrote. Thus I'm sad to see Op 37 no 1 with no votes.. it would have been my seventh choice probably. I'd agree with you all the way with opus 62 as well. When I was first getting into the nocturnes I didn't even get recordings for the Opus 62, (stupid me) so it wasn't until a few months later that I listened to them and man, did it blow me away. The ornaments in Op 62 no 1... to say they are beautiful is an understatement. And then Op 62 no 2 gives me the impression that Chopin somehow knew that this would be the last nocturne he would compose.. it's an appropriate farewell nocturne, so to speak. And it's absolutely sublime.

That's exactly how I feel about the Op 62 no 2 nocturne as well. It's not even in the sixth spot because it's my sixth favorite, but because I like them all so much and I had to let one go and it happened to be that one  :'(

Have you heard Richter's recording?

Offline billym

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 09:14:19 PM
Wow, that was the best one I've heard! I'm currently sitting in a study period and I just put this on while I was reading, but after a few seconds I had to put down the book! I'm definitely going to save this link. Astoundingly beautiful, thanks for the recommendation!

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 03:35:33 PM
No problem, it's my favorite recording of that piece :)

Let's hope more people vote in the poll, I'm kinda curious how it'll turn out!

Offline billym

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 05:11:33 AM
No problem, it's my favorite recording of that piece :)

Let's hope more people vote in the poll, I'm kinda curious how it'll turn out!

I've been trying for a while to listen to more Richter. Guess I'm just having trouble finding the best recordings of his. It takes so much time! Anyhow yes, I'm not seeing the traffic I want on this page but we'll see.

Offline billym

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 05:04:39 PM
Thank you everyone who voted in this poll- I got the results I was expecting. Very nice

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 06:00:04 PM
I voted in this poll, and I'm surprised at the final results! I thought everyone's favorites would be Op. 9 no. 1 in b flat minor, Op. 9 no. 2 in E flat, Op. 27 no. 2 in D flat, Op. 48 no. 1 in c minor and Op. posth. in c sharp minor, as those are the ones everyone wants to play. I must say I'm pretty pleased that many that are my personal favorites ended up being in the top results  ;D

Offline billym

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 08:15:50 PM
I voted in this poll, and I'm surprised at the final results! I thought everyone's favorites would be Op. 9 no. 1 in b flat minor, Op. 9 no. 2 in E flat, Op. 27 no. 2 in D flat, Op. 48 no. 1 in c minor and Op. posth. in c sharp minor, as those are the ones everyone wants to play. I must say I'm pretty pleased that many that are my personal favorites ended up being in the top results  ;D

Yeah, I suppose it is pretty cool that Op. 15 no. 2 and Op. 27 no. 1 are the favorites here- and the opus 62 are really respected here as well which is awesome. Glad to see there are those who have moved past the wildly overrated Op 9 no 2! :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert