Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Time to change teacher?  (Read 818 times)

Offline rovis78

• PS Silver Member
Time to change teacher?
on: April 30, 2021, 01:28:10 PM
Hi, I have been with my current teacher for 6 years, he studied at the Conservatory and finished his 10 year piano degree there . I took lessons with my previous teacher for about 7 years before he died. With the current teacher we have played a lot of pieces: Including Chopin etudes, Liszt etudes, some Mozart Sonatas, Bach suites and Italian Concerto in F Major, etc etc, lots of pieces. However after all this time I always en up playing the pieces the way he wants, he doesn´t let me propose ideas and I feel I am starting to become dependant on him. Another thing that seems odd to me is that I have never seen him play the piano a single time, he is good at teaching but I don´t know how good he really plays. Is it time to go on my own with taking ocassional masterclasses rather than having a weekly teacher?. Thanks?

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Time to change teacher?
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 02:46:04 PM
I think a good teacher should encourage the student's own personality, and not rigidly impose their own views as the only way. I think there are some fundamentals to good music making that you just have to know and follow to play well, but within those fundamentals there is infinite room for variation and individual personality. If anything, a teacher's teaching should ideally lead to the student becoming LESS dependent on the teacher over time, since the student has now become equipped with his/her own toolbox that he/she can now use with mastery.

I can't tell you if it's time to switch teacher or drop having a regular teacher entirely and replace it with occasional masterclasses. But if you feel you teacher is blocking you from expressing your personality and taste at the piano I'd at least consider changing teacher.

Offline dogperson

Re: Time to change teacher?
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 03:42:22 PM
From your brief description, it is impossible to judge what is the real issue.  We can’t attend your lessons to evaluate whether how you are asking to play the music would or would not be acceptable and whether or not your teacher is being unreasonable

You should be able to answer how much support you need with developing skills or interpreting music.  If you don’t need support, then it is time to quit lessons. It is a matter of your independence readiness.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert