Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: [Video] Debussy - Clair de Lune | In-depth tutorial  (Read 3158 times)

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Hey guys,
I just wanted to share with you my new tutorial on Debussy’s Clair de lune.
In this video, you’ll find information on approaching the piece with hands separate & both hands.
I also talk about voicing, phrasing, timing, and more.
Free sheet music with my fingerings in the description of the video.
Enjoy and good luck!
[/youtube]

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: [Video] Debussy - Clair de Lune | In-depth tutorial
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 03:51:58 PM
Hello antune,

I am sure your tutorials are useful for people but I think it would be appreciated around here if you'd participate in some discussions and helped people in the forum out. Right now it feels a bit like you are only here to advertise your videos.

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 04:31:26 PM
Hi Lelle,

Sorry to hear if this is how it seems.
I have participated in some discussions in the past, but indeed I am not very regularly here.
This is a video that I finished and published today.
As far as I see, it’s not possible to delete the post.
I didn’t intend to spam the forum in any way.
It will be my last post.
Regards,
Antune

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 05:10:04 PM
I don't have time to fully critique the entire video but for example bar 15 your pedalling suggestion is unusual since it would cut off the long dotted minums at the start where they should sustain throughout.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 05:17:51 PM
I don't have time to fully critique the entire video but for example bar 15 your pedalling suggestion is unusual since it would cut off the long dotted minums at the start where they should sustain throughout.

Actually I explained it in the video; the bass notes are dotted half notes, containing six eighth notes. In my opinion, the bass must disappear (with a half-pedal) in the last beat of the 15th bar. I am aware it is very often played by holding the bass sustained throughout, but this is not what I understand from the scores. Just an opinion.

Offline dogperson

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 05:25:33 PM
Hello antune,

I am sure your tutorials are useful for people but I think it would be appreciated around here if you'd participate in some discussions and helped people in the forum out. Right now it feels a bit like you are only here to advertise your videos.

My personal opinion: the videos are an extremely well done tutorial provided by a concert pianist/teacher.  I do not consider them to be spam that is just looking for a YouTube hit.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 05:39:55 PM
My personal opinion: the videos are an extremely well done tutorial provided by a concert pianist/teacher.  I do not consider them to be spam that is just looking for a YouTube hit.

That's fair. My intention was not to scare you off, antune, but simply to request that you participate a bit in the forum as well. We unfortunately get some spam around here where people only come to pull eyes to their business and not to contribute to the forum. Sorry if I sounded confrontational about it.

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 05:48:22 PM
That's fair. My intention was not to scare you off, antune, but simply to request that you participate a bit in the forum as well. We unfortunately get some spam around here where people only come to pull eyes to their business and not to contribute to the forum. Sorry if I sounded confrontational about it.

I understand your point.
Thank you for the kind words.
I'll do my best to participate in discussions if I have a helpful opinion or idea about the topic.
All the best

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 12:15:06 AM
Actually I explained it in the video; the bass notes are dotted half notes, containing six eighth notes. In my opinion, the bass must disappear (with a half-pedal) in the last beat of the 15th bar. I am aware it is very often played by holding the bass sustained throughout, but this is not what I understand from the scores. Just an opinion.
You suggested the pedal comes up after the tied quaver however that really does not pay respect to the value of the dotted minum and cuts right down. Debussy could have written a shortened bass note if he wanted to so I am not really sure why you would be encouraged to cut off shorter unless it is your interpretation being applied. To my ears it would be the same unusual sound as if you made the Chopin op 10 no 1 long bell like LH bass notes shorter (ok I am being melodramatic but that long drawing bass is an important feature and if a composer write it in I feel I need to respect what they are on about).
www.pianovision.com

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 12:50:17 AM
You suggested the pedal comes up after the tied quaver however that really does not pay respect to the value of the dotted minum and cuts right down. Debussy could have written a shortened bass note if he wanted to so I am not really sure why you would be encouraged to cut off shorter unless it is your interpretation being applied. To my ears it would be the same unusual sound as if you made the Chopin op 10 no 1 long bell like LH bass notes shorter (ok I am being melodramatic but that long drawing bass is an important feature and if a composer write it in I feel I need to respect what they are on about).

It's not quite the same with Chopin op.10 no.1 actually.
I cut the dotted minus in order to pay respect to the value of it; it's 9/8. If the time signature were 3/4, it would be a different story.
If you check bar No.13, you'll see that Debussy was very clear when he wanted a longer bass, for the whole bar. That's not the case in bar 15. Of course, that's my interpretation, but I am trying to be respectful to the composer :)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 01:20:32 AM
Yeah I was being melodramatic but the theme of a long bass note drawing through is what I was getting at, something which we come across not too infrequently. Yes the time signature is 9/8 but even then you release the pedal after 3 quaver beats which is obviously shorter than the dotted minum (6 quavers). If Debussy really wanted you to cut it off he would have put a rest, he also neglects any rest for the low bass note so even though there is no tied dotted crotchet there is also no rest which presses for an interpretation of length.

Interpretation is fine, I feel over the internet though where you are hitting a larger audience you might want to teach in a manner which leaves room for interpretation, but if you want to include it as a teaching point I guess thats fine!
www.pianovision.com

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 01:41:01 AM
Yeah I was being melodramatic but the theme of a long bass note drawing through is what I was getting at, something which we come across not too infrequently. Yes the time signature is 9/8 but even then you release the pedal after 3 quaver beats which is obviously shorter than the dotted minum (6 quavers). If Debussy really wanted you to cut it off he would have put a rest, he also neglects any rest for the low bass note so even though there is no tied dotted crotchet there is also no rest which presses for an interpretation of length.

Interpretation is fine, I feel over the internet though where you are hitting a larger audience you might want to teach in a manner which leaves room for interpretation, but if you want to include it as a teaching point I guess thats fine!

I change the pedal halfway after 4 quavers, but that's still equal to 6, because of the pause in the first beat.
I get your point, though. Good to mention that the idea that I was trying to give in the video is to search more and not be influenced only by tradition.
Who knows what the composer intended, but I like the half pedal effect, to be honest. I like the fact that we can still hear the overtones even though the bass is cut. It's a nice color I think.
Anyway, thanks for the comment!

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 02:15:30 AM
Yeah I meant 3 quaver beats including the tied one (which makes the four) as I said in one of my other responses here I just forgot to mention the tied quaver again in my previous response. It's still just cutting short a note which states a specific time, some students might get confused as to why you pedal the long bass away. Even with the pause the long bass pauses as well so it still needs that resolution of its full value it would be strange to give pause to one hand but not the other. Right if you want to present a way to interpret that's fine but might have been good to direct attention to that long bass note and that it certainly can be drawn through without extra pedalling. One can't cover all issues in a short time so I get that things will be missed.
www.pianovision.com

Offline edmondrhapsody

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 12:07:35 AM
Very useful tutorial for a beautiful piece.  Thanks.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 09:49:21 AM
Actually, my only criticism is the wobbly camera. I know it's from a first person point of view, but that's going to make some people nauseous.

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 09:15:27 AM
Very useful tutorial for a beautiful piece.  Thanks.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 09:24:09 AM
Actually, my only criticism is the wobbly camera. I know it's from a first person point of view, but that's going to make some people nauseous.

Thank you for the comment.
I have several reasons to keep the camera placement as it is.
The first one is that I want to present the exact angle as I see my hands. I believe, the viewer must see the nature of the hand movement through my eyes because I think this is the easiest way to understand what I am showing and explaining.
The second reason is that body movement has a huge impact on phrasing and timing in general. Those two things aren’t always the easiest to explain in words. Therefore in my experience, the movement adds to my teaching.
The third reason is that I can show the right or the left hand in a specific time for the certain passage that I want to be the focus of the attention.
For me, the above reasons are very essential to my teaching.
Regards,
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert