Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: [Video] Schumann - Traumerei  (Read 1142 times)

Offline mc_86420

• PS Silver Member
[Video] Schumann - Traumerei
on: May 10, 2021, 09:23:53 PM
As much as I enjoy exploring lesser-known works, this is one of those super-popular pieces that I couldn't resist learning!

Hope you all enjoy it.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: [Video] Schumann - Traumerei
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 10:00:23 PM
Nice playing :) I think you chose a good tempo. You could be a hair faster if you want, but this is good. I think popular pieces are popular for a reason, so no shame in playing those ;)

Offline mc_86420

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 06:27:04 PM
Nice playing :) I think you chose a good tempo. You could be a hair faster if you want, but this is good. I think popular pieces are popular for a reason, so no shame in playing those ;)

Thanks!

Offline dw4rn

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 06:03:46 AM
Beautiful, I enjoyed that very much!

Rather than trying a faster tempo, I think you can treat the pulse even more freely than you do - stay longer on the chords, go forward more on the eighth-note passages etc. This is supposed to depict some sort of (day)dreaming - a still, peaceful activity, but where all sorts of sudden emotional shifts can go on underneath the surface.

You play this so well, but I think experimenting with bigger contrasts is where you could find things to enrich your interpretation.

Offline mc_86420

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 04:40:56 PM
Rather than trying a faster tempo, I think you can treat the pulse even more freely than you do - stay longer on the chords, go forward more on the eighth-note passages etc. This is supposed to depict some sort of (day)dreaming - a still, peaceful activity, but where all sorts of sudden emotional shifts can go on underneath the surface.

Thanks for the feedback! Going back and listening again, I definitely agree with you. A lot more freedom could be used in this piece.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert