Piano Forum

Topic: Chopin Etudes  (Read 803 times)

Offline georgesteven

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etudes
on: May 27, 2021, 12:54:29 AM
Has anyone played any of Chopin's etudes? If so, which do you think is the hardest/easiest?

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etudes
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 01:04:40 AM
There are some nice lists out there on YouTube etc. I haven't really "played" any of the Chopin etudes, but op 25 no 12 seemed relatively easy to me. It depends a lot on what you're comfortable with -- I would bet that I'd not find the octave etude too hard when I learn it, for example.

As to which ones are hard, I've heard that most people will find one of op 10 no 1, and op 10 no 2 difficult, and from what I've seen, you're either an op 10 no 1 or an op 10 no 2 person ;D It probably depends on your hand shape as well. Op 25 no 6 is another etude many people seem to find hard, with the few exceptions who are naturally very strong at thirds. Honestly, based on what I've seen, most of the other etudes aren't as daunting as these. Winterwind, for example, looks like it would fall under the hand very naturally with enough slow practice.

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 08:53:06 AM
Has anyone played any of Chopin's etudes? If so, which do you think is the hardest/easiest?

I've played Op. 10 complete and a few from Op.25.
In my experience, Op.10 Nr.9 seems to be the technically easiest, and Op.10 Nr.2 & Op.25 Nr.6 are the most challenging ones.
But I agree that anyone could experience it differently.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 11:04:41 PM
I've played Op. 10 complete and a few from Op.25.
In my experience, Op.10 Nr.9 seems to be the technically easiest, and Op.10 Nr.2 & Op.25 Nr.6 are the most challenging ones.
But I agree that anyone could experience it differently.

Don't you think Op 10 no 6 is easier technically than no 9? ;)

Offline antune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 12:13:20 AM
Don't you think Op 10 no 6 is easier technically than no 9? ;)

I find the voicing more challenging in the 6th etude. It is somewhat difficult to play the middle layer with a good sound and legatissimo.
The 9th feels more straightforward in terms of instructions, and maybe because I have long fingers, it feels more comfortable.
You think 6th is easier?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert