Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Help with Rachmaninoff's G Major Prelude (Op. 32 No. 5)  (Read 1730 times)

Offline rocky99

• PS Silver Member
My piano professor assigned me Rachmaninoff's G Major prelude to learn on my own over the summer. The notes are quite easy, but I am having a very difficult time wrapping my head around the polyrhythms when I try putting my hands together. Does anyone have any tips for practicing this piece?

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Help with Rachmaninoff's G Major Prelude (Op. 32 No. 5)
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 10:56:06 PM
My piano professor assigned me Rachmaninoff's G Major prelude to learn on my own over the summer. The notes are quite easy, but I am having a very difficult time wrapping my head around the polyrhythms when I try putting my hands together. Does anyone have any tips for practicing this piece?

Generally for these types of polyrhythms you practise so that you focus on the beat until you really feel it confidently. Then if the different hands have different rhythms, you focus on the beats and let the off-beat notes just kind of fit into place. You solve it through feeling the pulse and developing confidence rather than thinking about it, essentially, in my experience.

Offline dogperson

Re: Help with Rachmaninoff's G Major Prelude (Op. 32 No. 5)
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 11:49:02 PM
Here’s a tutorial which may be useful

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3V_25cR5MAw

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert