\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Most underrated pianists (Read 649 times)

Offline virtuoso_pianist

• PS Silver Member
Most underrated pianists
« on: June 21, 2021, 06:02:18 AM »
Hello there,

I wanted to start this post since I was wondering how many underrated pianists there are?

I reckon Yakov Flier was one of the most underrated pianists IMO. His recordings were the pinnacle of the Russian piano school, and he actually beat Gilels in a competition during his youth. I thought this topic might be an interesting one to see people's opinions ;D

Offline lelle

• PS Silver Member
Re: Most underrated pianists
«Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 11:42:04 PM »
I have a hard time gauging how well known the pianists I like are. I feel like not enough people know about Annie Fischer, but is she underrated?

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 11:54:26 PM »
I have a hard time gauging how well known the pianists I like are. I feel like not enough people know about Annie Fischer, but is she underrated?

I personally think it's rare that someone with incredible talent (with interesting interpretations etc.) goes completely unnoticed. I don't really think there are unknown Horowitzes lurking around. However I definitely think that some pianists don't get as much exposure as they ought to, but if you dig deep enough, you'll usually find them, and they will have a niche following.

Offline lelle

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 11:57:17 PM »
I personally think it's rare that someone with incredible talent (with interesting interpretations etc.) goes completely unnoticed. I don't really think there are unknown Horowitzes lurking around. However I definitely think that some pianists don't get as much exposure as they ought to, but if you dig deep enough, you'll usually find them, and they will have a niche following.

Totally agree, well said.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 06:44:29 PM »
Probably not totally underated in their time or in some circles but off top of my head two that it almost criminal many have not heard of them
David Saperton "...known especially for being the first pianist to play the entire original compositions as well as the complete transcriptions of his father-in-law, Leopold Godowsky. He also recorded a number of Godowsky’s Studies on Chopin's Études as well as other pieces. His students at the Curtis Institute and later include Jorge Bolet, Shura Cherkassky, Sidney Foster, Julius Katchen, John Simms, Abbey Simon, Eleanor Sokoloff, Dorothy Wanderman, and Frances Ziffer. As a pianist he is regarded as a great dramatist, a sensitive poet and superb colorist...."

Alberto Jonas -"....as a pianist he was regarded as a virtuoso on the level of Ignacy Jan Paderewski, Moriz Rosenthal, Leopold Godowsky, Józef Hofmann, and Josef Lhévinne...."

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 11:46:58 AM »
Francisco Mignone (actually his wife too) , but Frank isore renowned for his composing but he was an much like other greats a pianist first , a dang good.one which helped his piano composing and why so much of his output has that virtuousic flair, sort of a on  bit smaller scale a sort of Brazilian Liszt

His miniatures and smaller dance pieces are a pure delight , his wife playing them usually sets benchmark but here is a rare recording of him playing his own (sorta like those videos we have of Kapustin doing his own pieces etc )

Offline lelle

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 11:51:04 PM »
Francisco Mignone (actually his wife too) , but Frank isore renowned for his composing but he was an much like other greats a pianist first , a dang good.one which helped his piano composing and why so much of his output has that virtuousic flair, sort of a on  bit smaller scale a sort of Brazilian Liszt

His miniatures and smaller dance pieces are a pure delight , his wife playing them usually sets benchmark but here is a rare recording of him playing his own (sorta like those videos we have of Kapustin doing his own pieces etc )

Interesting recording. He is really not afraid of rubato, that man.