Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: [Vid] Liszt Valse Melancolique S. 214 from my all-Liszt album!  (Read 1525 times)

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member

My 2021 album "Michael Kaykov plays Liszt: Two Episodes from Lenau's Faust and Other Piano Works" is now available on streaming and download:
https://michaelkaykov.bandcamp.com/releases

Also on Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/album/57CbS0XY3yEO6G1uekyDNw?si=KjLqYWgURnOZFbkUq_G7uA

8)

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
 ;D

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Fine playing, dude! I wish you luck with promoting your new record :)

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
Thank you!

Already working Kaykov Liszt volume 2… which will include the Sonata in B minor, Scherzo and March… plus a few other works…

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Is it satisfying to record in the studio and make your own records? I have never done it so I am curious what it is like!

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
It is certainly one of the most satisfying things I’ve done.

This particular studio (Skillman audio, in NYC) has amazing preamps and mics, everything sounds smoooooth, kinda like those great 1950’s tape recordings…

Nobody has many concerts now and I actually really struggled to get any sort of concerts going in my 25+ years in the pro piano circuit… so I decided to make recordings and build up a discography as I seek college piano jobs..

It’s hard work but I get to play exactly what I want and how I want…

As for money, this album took 2 recording sessions (both also captured on video from 3 angles in 4K)… $800 spent in total…. (My budget was $1000, massive thanks to my supporter Ian Williamson in in Australia).

Compared to what making an album USED to cost, 10 years ago, when people were still tied to physical media, this is very inexpensive.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Always a treat to hear your playing, Michael, just bought the download. Although I am not primarily interested in classical these days I think we ought to support the better executants among us. Keep unleashing da fury !
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
Thank you Ted

;D

Yes, when I do some relaxing listening after practicing and teaching, I usually go for some Art Tatum! I literally have every recording of his that is known to exist, including unreleased items.

I appreciate your support. Bandcamp is pretty good in that they actually pay the artists a fair share… something you don’t see on most streaming-only services.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
My own favourites are the private recordings Tatum made at Heindorf’s house, later issued by Verve on two CDs. The flow and invention seem freer somehow than in his studio recordings. His Danny Boy, in particular, is very striking.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
It is certainly one of the most satisfying things I’ve done.

This particular studio (Skillman audio, in NYC) has amazing preamps and mics, everything sounds smoooooth, kinda like those great 1950’s tape recordings…

Nobody has many concerts now and I actually really struggled to get any sort of concerts going in my 25+ years in the pro piano circuit… so I decided to make recordings and build up a discography as I seek college piano jobs..

It’s hard work but I get to play exactly what I want and how I want…

As for money, this album took 2 recording sessions (both also captured on video from 3 angles in 4K)… $800 spent in total…. (My budget was $1000, massive thanks to my supporter Ian Williamson in in Australia).

Compared to what making an album USED to cost, 10 years ago, when people were still tied to physical media, this is very inexpensive.

That's astonishingly cheap. It seems like you need to be very well prepared and skilled to succeed playing at a standard you are satisfied with in just two sessions. I don't think I could do that :o

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
My own favourites are the private recordings Tatum made at Heindorf’s house, later issued by Verve on two CDs. The flow and invention seem freer somehow than in his studio recordings. His Danny Boy, in particular, is very striking.

Those are phenomenal.... I'm a huge fan of Tatum 1950's recordings, he was doing so many innovative things harmonically... and his textures are unique too.

The 1940 series of radio broadcasts for the California Melodies show is great...

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
That's astonishingly cheap. It seems like you need to be very well prepared and skilled to succeed playing at a standard you are satisfied with in just two sessions. I don't think I could do that :o

I was not 100% happy with everything, I will actually remake the Der Nachtliche Zug on the album later, as the sheetmusic of my transcription will be published in Japan this Fall... and I've already revised bits of it...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert