Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: Recognize chords in the sheet music  (Read 1999 times)

Offline itom_6

• PS Silver Member
Recognize chords in the sheet music
on: July 17, 2021, 11:54:36 AM
Hi, I'm a beginner who is playing stuff like clementi sonatinas or schumann op 68. Im studying a lot of music theory but i cant still recognize  every chord in the sheet ( maybe some cadences) so, when you were around my level of playing, could you recognize chords in music? Should i recognize them? Btw im studying a  lot of 4 part writing so for me is much easier analysing music like bach chorales or some modern hymns but when i try to analyse some different kind of music I recognize just some progressions.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Recognize chords in the sheet music
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 11:23:34 PM
Learning to recognize chords takes some time. It varies how much theory you know at an early stage, it depends on what you are taught! I know people who studied music at a high level but did not understand much theory (to the detriment of their playing, in my opinion). Keep studying and be patient and youll get better!

Are there any particular chords or pieces that come to mind that you are struggling with?

Offline jimf12

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 05:58:13 PM
To first answer your questions..

As a beginner could I recognize chords in music?   
A:  I probably could, but did I?   It was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no I did not.    I played the notes.   

Should you recognize them?
A:  The answer is most definitely YES!   

I agree with the previous poster, many people learn to play without much theory, and I do think it's a detriment.   I am 58, and re-dedicating myself to the piano after playing for fun off and on with some long (15 year) breaks.   I got to a point of relearning and hit a wall, and then sought out an instructor.   She has an advanced degree in music theory from a conservatory in Lithuania and she has opened my eyes to the importance of understanding theory.    Theory is not just about knowing scales and chords and intervals, it's knowing how they work and understanding how the music is constructed.   You play better understanding theory.    You understand the progressions, you know what the music is striving toward, and you know when it gets there.    That changes how you play it, you don't just play the notes willy-nilly.   When you really really recognize where you are in the music, where you are going, and the path you are taking to get there, it allows you to bring out everything in the music.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 10:25:39 PM
Theory is not just about knowing scales and chords and intervals, it's knowing how they work and understanding how the music is constructed.   You play better understanding theory.    You understand the progressions, you know what the music is striving toward, and you know when it gets there.    That changes how you play it, you don't just play the notes willy-nilly.   When you really really recognize where you are in the music, where you are going, and the path you are taking to get there, it allows you to bring out everything in the music.
[/quote]

Exactly, well said. This is the reason why I love theory. Its not just some abstract analysis but something you use in a very practical manner when you read and play the music.

Offline scientistplayspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 03:37:52 PM
Be patient, you are on the right track. It even took me quite a while to understand inversions. However, it does not prevent me from enjoying the music. Theory serves the practice, not the other way.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 04:05:10 PM
Be patient, you are on the right track. It even took me quite a while to understand inversions. However, it does not prevent me from enjoying the music. Theory serves the practice, not the other way.

Well said. I don't think OP is gonna read this though, they only made that one post and it was months ago :P

Offline danisageek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 01:51:08 PM
Hi, I'm a beginner who is playing stuff like clementi sonatinas or schumann op 68. Im studying a lot of music theory but i cant still recognize  every chord in the sheet ( maybe some cadences) so, when you were around my level of playing, could you recognize chords in music? Should i recognize them? Btw im studying a  lot of 4 part writing so for me is much easier analysing music like bach chorales or some modern hymns but when i try to analyse some different kind of music I recognize just some progressions.
can you play Twinkle twinkle little star with chords? People often want the to understand something that is more difficult than they should try to understand. Even if you can see the chords can you understand them? The issue I have with 4-part harmony is that it is extremely theoretical. I hate it myself! I want practical theory and not being too theoretical.
Can you play easy accompaniments, ie having someone else play the melody, to easier pieces you play?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert