Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: My technic sucks - trouble with Czerny op. 849 no. 26  (Read 1231 times)

Offline wildman

• PS Silver Member
Damn, after quitting the chopin thirds study after realising how impossible it is to reach valentina lisitsa tempo and going back to czerny op. 849, i realise it wasn't going to be so easy either.

To put things in perspectif i have been playing piano for 12 years and have graduated in conservatory with the schumann concerto.

However, i am finding it unattainable to play czerny op. 849 no. 26 at the indicated speed (quarter - 92).

Its just so hard. My fingers dont bounce back properly at all. I continouesly practise it slowly though in the hopes that it will eventually be possible.

I notice that a piece if it is within my technic comfort zone, it will be easy to play at tempo once i have the notes memorised. But if i struggle playing it at speed after repeated practising over several weeks, this means that its either above my level or at the top of it.

I actually have little experience with repeated notes.

The other study i find very hard is no. 28, the repeated chords. I can only play it at the marked speed with great strenousness.

Anyway, this is so frustrating. I'm scared that no matter how many times i repeatedly slow practise this piece, its just not gonna get there. This is kind of what happened with the chopin thirds etude.

I've been practising this czerny piece for like two weeks now.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Re: My technic sucks - trouble with Czerny op. 849 no. 26
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 04:17:54 AM
Two weeks doesn't seem that long to me. If you're finding a piece challenging, I'd give it at least 3 months for your nerves and muscles to adapt to the new movements. If you don't see any improvement in that time (even a small amount), then I'd start looking at what else might be preventing you from playing it.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 11:44:57 PM
Are your hands and wrists relaxed when you play? My guess would be that you struggle with tension in some way.

Offline bryfarr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 01:05:14 PM
You posted about difficulty with Liszt octaves and I looked at your other posts and found this one, which seems to present a similar pattern.
There is a specific technique for repeated notes - did you work on Czerny 849/26 with a teacher?  Someone needs to show you how to move the wrist.  I learned it from my teacher with Czerny 299/22 (Czerny covered repeated notes many times).  The same applies to repeated chords and octaves - you need to learn how to relax the wrist/hand.
You could post your playing on here or on FB, "piano technique discussion group", to get feed back.  I recommend the FB group - you'll get lots of expert feedback.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert