Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: First lesson!  (Read 1084 times)

Offline determined2learn

• PS Silver Member
First lesson!
on: July 23, 2021, 11:38:07 AM
After self teaching with online resources I went to my first in person lesson. It went 15 minutes over because of the teacher's enthusiasm explaining tetra chords and how major scales are developed. A great dose of music theory. I had read/heard this before but brushed off the importance. (This is after a 2 hour meet and greet the day before.)

Worked on hand position also. It's like changing my golf swing; hard to change old habits.  I have a lot of practicing to do this upcoming week. 

When I mentioned music theory to two of my friends who play piano, both said they weren't taught theory as children (half century ago probably). I was concerned that any local teacher would be like that and I knew I wanted the whole experience. (I live in a pretty rural area.) So, I'm pleased and looking forward to good outcomes! I've got the will and I'll find a way!

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Re: First lesson!
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 12:54:47 AM
Sounds like you're off to a positive start. Having a real teacher is a world of difference to learning on your own. Good luck.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 11:39:08 PM
Sounds great! How did the next lesson go?

Offline determined2learn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 12:03:04 AM
Sorry for the late reply. First 2 lessons in the books. Lots of work needed on technique. I'm working very hard to improve deficiencies but it's slow and frustrating at times. I do enjoy the lessons. I should have done it before now.

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 04:41:50 PM
I'm working very hard to improve deficiencies but it's slow and frustrating at times. I do enjoy the lessons. I should have done it before now.
Well, judging from your username, I think you’ll do great.  ;)

Offline scientistplayspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 08:53:54 PM
If music is viewed as the science of sound, then like any other scientific theory, practice comes first. The theory only makes sense when it sounds better by following the theory. I only start to appreciate the theory when I try to analyze more into the music. The improvisation also depends on the theory.

Actually I was discussing with my piano teacher the other day, Bach does not go with theory all the time, maybe these theories were still in development at his time. Most modern composers go with the theory 100%.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 11:01:48 PM
If music is viewed as the science of sound, then like any other scientific theory, practice comes first. The theory only makes sense when it sounds better by following the theory. I only start to appreciate the theory when I try to analyze more into the music. The improvisation also depends on the theory.

Actually I was discussing with my piano teacher the other day, Bach does not go with theory all the time, maybe these theories were still in development at his time. Most modern composers go with the theory 100%.

Do you have any example of Bach not following theory? I feel the opposite; his music was very well constructed with its basis in the theory of his time.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 12:18:49 AM
My understanding was that music theory doesn't tell composers how they ought to write, but rather, how great composers of the past wrote their music. It is descriptive, not proscriptive.

I remember coming across a few exampls in Bach's chorales where the rules were not strictly followed but I can't remember which ones. I do know that in the E Minor Fugue from WTC B1 he used a short passage of parallel octaves, which is one of the first things you learn not to do in music theory class. But it sounds awesome and in context it makes perfect sense.

Offline scientistplayspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 01:19:35 PM
For the "Bach not exactly follow the theory" I need to check with my piano teacher again. I thinks she was referring to chord progression. Bach goes out the original key very quickly, even in small pieces like two part inventions, which makes it difficult to follow, unlike the modern composers.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert