Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Pieces that Need a Piano Transcription  (Read 880 times)

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Pieces that Need a Piano Transcription
on: July 27, 2021, 06:06:10 PM
I have been really pining for a Liszt-esque transcription of Dance of the Hours; it just seems like one of those perfect pieces.  There are a lot of nice orchestral effects, but they're ones that have corresponding piano figures so I think it's the perfect piece.  Wish Liszt had done one himself!  There's some simple one Naxos recorded on youtube, but it's very weaksauce.

I actually started writing one, once, but I got bogged down writing a big intro and just lost interest.  Might come back to it.

Any pieces like that for you?

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pieces that Need a Piano Transcription
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 10:39:26 PM
This has been done a bit (though not well enough to my liking), but my roommate and I are working on a two-piano transcription of various themes from Star Wars, especially Duel of the Fates.
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 10:33:33 AM
My whole YouTube career was based on pieces that needed a good arrangement/transcription. If you think there's something that is worth me getting my hands into - let me know.

My links are in the signature if you're keen to see.

PS. I started trying to do a 4-hand Duel of the Fates. Still not sure if it will successfully come across on the piano, but it's still sitting on my hard drive.

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 05:26:42 PM

PS. I started trying to do a 4-hand Duel of the Fates. Still not sure if it will successfully come across on the piano, but it's still sitting on my hard drive.

Yea that piece is super difficult to transcribe for sure. I really think it needs two pianos to do justice to the combined choir and orchestra. I imagine many of the difficulties are similar to that Liszt faced in the transcription of Beethoven's 9th.
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 10:11:27 PM
I'm trying one piano but four hands - seems a little easier to perform on rather than on 2 pianos (logistically)

Offline liszt123

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 04:02:30 AM
Scriabin Symphony 1! Sibelius Symphony 7!! Dvorak Symphony 8!!! Shostakovich Symphony 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that I'd be able to play any of them :'(

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 11:08:51 PM
My whole YouTube career was based on pieces that needed a good arrangement/transcription. If you think there's something that is worth me getting my hands into - let me know.

My links are in the signature if you're keen to see.

Your arrangements are awesome. How does that work with copyright and stuff? Can you just upload it and make money off of it?

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 09:53:48 AM
YouTube seems to allow arrangements. Some of the videos are flagged as having 3rd party content, but it doesn't flag it as a warning because it knows it's simply an arrangement.

Sometimes they mandate adverts on the video just before the video loads (which I do actively discourage - I HATE adverts).

It takes over 10K views just to make a single buck from the adverts so I don't bother with them.

As for the Musicnotes page, Musicnotes takes the music and they divvy up the money between themselves (they take a cut, the original composer gets a chunk) and I get the rest. Same goes with the music through Soundrop - they do the same... but due to more and more streaming services - you'll get $0.003 per stream, where only a few years ago you'd get paid almost $0.60 per download.

Since people are now paying for subscriptions - original artist probably gets less, arranger gets *** all, and Apple have their own pools made of solid bloody gold.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert