\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Practicing and injury. (Read 321 times)

Offline neeeel

• PS Silver Member
Practicing and injury.
« on: July 28, 2021, 06:33:24 PM »
I have been playing piano for a few months now, and learned a couple of Bach inventions. I want to improve my technique so I was looking at exercises, scales, etc to do this. Last night I did some parallel sets, which is just playing multiple sets of, eg C-D-E with first three fingers of right hand, or multiple sets of half scales or scales. It seemed to go fine, but by the time I went to bed, my right shoulder was stiff and sore at the back, and my thumb hurts when I raise or lower it.

So my question is, what did I do wrong, how did I hurt myself so badly just from doing 10-15 minutes of parallel sets? I have heard that you can damage yourself quite badly from practicing incorrectly, so what is the correct way to proceed, and how did I cause so much damage from so little time?

Offline lelle

• PS Silver Member
Re: Practicing and injury.
«Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 10:55:24 PM »
If you are stiff and sore there is tension in your playing. The goal is to learn to play while staying very relaxed and supple in your body (hands, wrists, arms, shoulders, you name it). But it's difficult and not really safe to diagnose technical issues via a forum. The best would be if you could find a knowledgeable teacher who could help you in person.