Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: The Hidden Theme in Schumann's Kinderszenen  (Read 1507 times)

Offline fredviner

• PS Silver Member
The Hidden Theme in Schumann's Kinderszenen
on: July 29, 2021, 07:26:11 AM
Hi everyone, hope you're well. Very excited to share my latest video on the hidden theme in Schumann's Kinderszenen. Would love to hear what you all think - there's a lot to dispute with this one!

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: The Hidden Theme in Schumann's Kinderszenen
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 08:24:02 AM
I didn't have any expectations when I clicked but I thought the video was great!

I would agree that most of the motivic connections are probably intentional. The composers of the time were, after all, expert craftsmen, and motivic connections or basing a big work on one basic motif were often used to create a large qauntity of varied material while keeping a sense of unity. That descending fourth being everywhere is not just a coincidence.

The only thing I think one can argue about regarding this is just details about exactly where the rising sixth and descending fourth are hidden in some instances.  :P

EDIT: Regarding motivic connections - Beethoven was big on those and learned it from Haydn, and Schumann would have studied and admired Beethoven's work.

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 05:25:14 PM
Good work! I agree with your assertion, these kinds of motivic and structural interrelations are often central to the conception of unified bodies of work like the Kinderszenen. You should look at the late Brahms piano pieces if you haven't already. They're so tightly composed that I'm sure there are some interconnections between pieces.
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm

Offline fredviner

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 07:28:15 AM
I didn't have any expectations when I clicked but I thought the video was great!

I would agree that most of the motivic connections are probably intentional. The composers of the time were, after all, expert craftsmen, and motivic connections or basing a big work on one basic motif were often used to create a large qauntity of varied material while keeping a sense of unity. That descending fourth being everywhere is not just a coincidence.

The only thing I think one can argue about regarding this is just details about exactly where the rising sixth and descending fourth are hidden in some instances.  :P

EDIT: Regarding motivic connections - Beethoven was big on those and learned it from Haydn, and Schumann would have studied and admired Beethoven's work.

Thank you so much! Very pleased you enjoyed it :)

I'm inclined to agree - I think the fact that he wrote these works in such a short space of time meant these thematic ingredients and melodic shapes were likely whirling around his head during the compositional process, either consciously or not.

You'd be welcome to share your comment on the video itself - I'm hoping to spark more debate in the YT comments of my videos :D

Offline fredviner

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 07:28:56 AM
Good work! I agree with your assertion, these kinds of motivic and structural interrelations are often central to the conception of unified bodies of work like the Kinderszenen. You should look at the late Brahms piano pieces if you haven't already. They're so tightly composed that I'm sure there are some interconnections between pieces.

Thank you! :)

I adore the late Brahms piano pieces - any in particular you had in mind?

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 09:51:44 PM
Thank you! :)

I adore the late Brahms piano pieces - any in particular you had in mind?

Well I would like to hear your take on the Op. 119, since I'm studying them at the moment!
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert