Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Mozart - Variations on 'Ah, vous dirais-je, Maman,' KV 265  (Read 1061 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
the archetypical Classical variations are also composed on one of the most widely known folk tunes in western music. even though i don't think of this as one of Mozart's greatest pieces, the fact is that he reached a sort of stylistic perfection in this combination.

his other variations veer much more into fantasy, they are more personal, i am thinking of variations on 'Salve tu, Domine,' which i love and also 'Lison dormait'

but this one sticks to the script, so to speak, and never veers off the phrasing of the theme, except in the finale which morph from duple to triple time. all the boxes are checked: variation for right hand , then for left ; changing the note values for right , then left ; contrapuntal minor key variation ; and a slow one before the grand finale.

anyways it's a piece that never fails to bring a twinkle to someone's eye in the audience, if at least only one person lol

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart - Variations on 'Ah, vous dirais-je, Maman,' KV 265
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 05:21:47 PM
Aww I think this is a very fine set of variations, personally. There are some Mozart variation sets where he barely modifies the theme but just has different accompaniments. Here, he is more creative.

Fine playing!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 07:39:48 PM
Very well played!

Crisp and articulate fast passages contrasted with introspective lyrical sections.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline dw4rn

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 08:07:47 AM
Very nice - colorful, imaginative playing. I love your left hand!

Hmm... I'm guessing you're not having some unstable person ;D filming with a handheld camera from in front, so exactly what is going on here?? :o

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 07:37:12 PM
Aww I think this is a very fine set of variations, personally. There are some Mozart variation sets where he barely modifies the theme but just has different accompaniments. Here, he is more creative.

Fine playing!

thanks much ! did not mean to be hard on these variations but they are more 'basic' to me than for instance Lison dormait or Salve tu domine which i love so much and are full of fantasy. of course these are perfect in construction and executioN!

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 07:38:15 PM
Very nice - colorful, imaginative playing. I love your left hand!

Hmm... I'm guessing you're not having some unstable person ;D filming with a handheld camera from in front, so exactly what is going on here?? :o

thnaks!

and thanks for noticing the odd camera angle. i have a funny toy, it is a tracking camera that can lock onto someone's face and follow them, at 360 degrees angle even. unfortunately it cannot lock onto a pair of hands, but i decided to use it for this and several other pieces (this is one part of an hour long video recital) for the variety. i hope it is not too distracting
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert