Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: How to enjoy the journey of piano?  (Read 864 times)

Offline kittenyarn

• PS Silver Member
How to enjoy the journey of piano?
on: September 14, 2021, 09:56:12 PM
Hii everyone! I'm still a beginner at piano but I've learned a lot already. As an example I can read sheet music and play simple pieces. I have been learning more about all the amazing pieces that are out there, especially classical music, and I would really love to be able to play those one day. I have discovered that I really like big, dramatic, loud pieces haha 8) But I also realize I won't be playing any of those pieces soon :'( It just seems like it'll be an infinitely long time before I can play anything like that, if it'll ever happen, it just seems so difficult :O So how can I enjoy the journey when I know that the thing I really desire is so far off? I like playing the pieces I play now, but you can tell they're "beginner" pieces. It's just not the same as those big, impressive pieces...  ;D

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: How to enjoy the journey of piano?
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 12:32:58 AM
Set small, attainable goals, one after another, and take satisfaction in reaching them. Get a kick out of figuring out how your fingers, hands, and arms move best. Play the easy pieces as beautifully as you can. Don't think too much about the big impressive pieces. You can find recordings of famous pianists playing very simple beginner pieces - listen to those and get inspired.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 04:38:16 AM
Enjoy the process of learning.  Thirst to learn new things about music, about playing the piano, about listening, about becoming a better musician.

Make improvisation a part of your daily practice.  You say you like big, dramatic, loud pieces, so practice improvising in that style.  You likely have many technique challenges at first, but you will learn a lot by improvising.  It will also give you a better appreciation of the technique that needs to be built up in order to make such music. 

There are easier pieces that fill that aesthetic.  Ask your teacher about studying such pieces at your current level.

Play through small sections of the big repertoire that you like.  Allow yourself to explore a bit.  However, do not expect yourself to play these pieces in their entirety just now.   Have a glimpse of what you could possibly do in the future if you persist working at the piano.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 06:10:59 AM
Something I've been thinking about is the environment in which my early development at the piano occured. There was no internet, access to sheet music was difficult, recordings were expensive to get hold of, videos of people playing the piano practically non existent.

The key word I found in all this is my education was very "insulated" from external
distractions. It is highly distractive to see a young child play something that would be very difficult for you to do. Seeing the great masters of the piano playing virtuosic repertoire although inspiring can really distract you from your own journey.

Because my musical vision was all around what I did only it allowed me to fully appreciate the music I was creating, nothing I did felt unworthy or "too easy compared to..". So a rather paradoxical way to really enjoy your journey in piano is to stop searching it up on the internet too much, insulate yourself and get busy working with what you should be doing.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 09:06:05 PM
I have definitely fallen into the trap of trying to reach pieces that are beyond me, not only as a beginner, but as an advanced player too. There is nothing wrong with wanting to play hard pieces, but you'll likely save yourself a lot of fruitless work and headache by pacing yourself and learning pieces at your level. Some day, you may or may not reach the level needed for certain pieces, and in the meantime there is nothing wrong with dreaming of reaching them. The most important thing is to enjoy the thing you are doing right now, and as long as you are doing that, I think you are fine :)

Offline determined2learn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 10:21:51 PM
Something I've been thinking about is the environment in which my early development at the piano occured. There was no internet, access to sheet music was difficult, recordings were expensive to get hold of, videos of people playing the piano practically non existent.

The key word I found in all this is my education was very "insulated" from external
distractions. It is highly distractive to see a young child play something that would be very difficult for you to do. Seeing the great masters of the piano playing virtuosic repertoire although inspiring can really distract you from your own journey.

Because my musical vision was all around what I did only it allowed me to fully appreciate the music I was creating, nothing I did felt unworthy or "too easy compared to..". So a rather paradoxical way to really enjoy your journey in piano is to stop searching it up on the internet too much, insulate yourself and get busy working with what you should be doing.

Great advice. Thank you.

Offline mikey shooes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 08:38:06 AM
Enjoy the process of learning.  Thirst to learn new things about music, about playing the piano, about listening, about becoming a better musician.

Make improvisation a part of your daily practice.  You say you like big, dramatic, loud pieces, so practice improvising in that style.  You likely have many technique challenges at first, but you will learn a lot by improvising.  It will also give you a better appreciation of the technique that needs to be built up in order to make such music. 

There are easier pieces that fill that aesthetic.  Ask your teacher about studying such pieces at your current level.

Play through small sections of the big repertoire that you like.  Allow yourself to explore a bit.  However, do not expect yourself to play these pieces in their entirety just now.   Have a glimpse of what you could possibly do in the future if you persist working at the piano.

Yeah! And practice practice practice everytime when you have free time at home or somewhere else where you can find instrument! It is not easy like pulling the trigger (sometimes I go shooting with my dad) it is more about patience and practice.

Offline scientistplayspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 03:04:40 PM
Learning piano is a procedure. On the other hand, learning piano is not just the techniques, it is also appreciating music and establish your own taste. There are many beautiful simple beginner's pieces. That is why looking for a good piano teacher is important. A good teacher will help you find the repertoire that fits your skill level and interest.

Offline kittenyarn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 08:49:20 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! Ugh, there is just so much to know. That's what makes learning the piano both wonderful and frustrating I guess :P It seems like you never reach an "end".

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 09:48:08 PM
If there is something new to learn each day, it means you won't get bored with piano.  There is always something to look forward to when playing.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert