Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Waldstein mvt. III - all one movement?  (Read 687 times)

Offline presto-con-fuoco

• PS Silver Member
Waldstein mvt. III - all one movement?
on: September 23, 2021, 02:45:57 PM
Hey all, a bit of a technical question - just interested in what people think.

In the Henle edition of Waldstein, the Prestissimo at the end of the movement has a sort of tempo heading that is used for the beginning of movements, and before the Prestissimo begins, Beethoven writes “attacca”. I’ve never seen attacca used to join two segments that are not separate movements.

I know everyone plays it and records it as though it’s one movement - I was just wondering if these facts imply Beethoven thought of the Prestissimo as a fourth movement/finale.

Thanks!

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Waldstein mvt. III - all one movement?
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 07:16:21 PM
I'm looking in my own Henle right now. There's nothing unusual about that tempo heading, they look like that when you change the tempo in the middle of a piece as well. If Henle had wanted to show it as a separate movement, there would have been an indentation on the staves, like in the beginning of the Rondo movement, and the bar count would have been reset as well. I think the attacca instruction from Beethoven should be interpreted as the Prestissimo starting suddenly, as a surprise, directly after the fermata, and that you should make a small silence between them, for example.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert