Piano Forum

Topic: Need ideas for a 15-20 minute chamber piece  (Read 434 times)

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Need ideas for a 15-20 minute chamber piece
on: September 26, 2021, 05:13:25 PM
Hi all--

I am thinking of organizing a collaborative recital next June, and the main part of the program will be the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata (my project for the last six months). However, I would like to find another piece of moderate length that would complement the cello sonata nicely. It doesn't have to be for cello; ideally it would be for piano trio (my favorite type of ensemble). Of course I love the piano trio genre, and I'm quite familiar with it; but unfortunately many of the Trios I know are too long to fit into a recital next to a behemoth like the Cello Sonata (for instance, the Shostakovich E minor Trio, which I played last year, is 30 minutes long). Currently, I am considering the Rachmaninoff Piano Trio No. 1 (but is the audience down for an hour of Rachmaninoff?), and I already know my teacher is going to suggest the Frank Bridge Phantasy Trio (which I have mixed feelings about), but I'm open to suggestions. Anyone have any ideas?
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Need ideas for a 15-20 minute chamber piece
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 06:28:12 PM
The first Trio is pretty cool so I'm sure the audience will like it, the question is just, as you say, if they're up for an hour of Rachmaninoff. If you pick the Trio, I would use it as the opening piece and finish with the Cello sonata.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert