Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Next piano piece  (Read 1229 times)

Offline pius02

• PS Silver Member
Next piano piece
on: October 21, 2021, 07:02:15 PM
Hi!
I am from Germany and playing since 7 Years and i would say I’m an advanced Player, but i can definitely improve. In recent years I have made very little progress and i want to change that now.
Here are some pieces I played in the last months and how i would „rate“ them:
- Rondo alla Turca (Turkish Marsh, Easy, sometimes Medium. Hard- really hard to play it fast and correct obv.)
- Prelude in E-Minor Op 28 No 4. (Really Easy, but hard to express feelings)
-Moonlight Sonata, 1. Movement (Playing it rn, i would say it is easy until now)
-James Bond theme (
this version, easy-medium)
-Pirates of the caribbean - He’s a Pirate (Advanced Version with 3-key-chords, can’t find the exact version atm., Medium- Hard)

What would you advise me to play next? I really would like to have a doable challenge after the Moonlight Sonata and i thought of these pieces:
-Prelude in C Minor Op 3 No 2
- Liebestraum No. 3
-Waltz in E-Minor
-Fantasie Impromptu

I know these are hard pieces, but i would love to here some opinions if you think i could play one of them (And if so, which one, my favorite would prob. be Liebestraum) . Or feel free to give me another suggestion

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Next piano piece
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:19:43 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

What would you advise me to play next? I really would like to have a doable challenge after the Moonlight Sonata and i thought of these pieces:
-Prelude in C Minor Op 3 No 2
- Liebestraum No. 3
-Waltz in E-Minor
-Fantasie Impromptu

I know these are hard pieces, but i would love to here some opinions if you think i could play one of them (And if so, which one, my favorite would prob. be Liebestraum) . Or feel free to give me another suggestion

All of these pieces are, as you say, much harder than the pieces that you have played so far. There are some dangers, not immediately apparent, in playing pieces that are above your current level. If with the Prelude you mean the one in C sharp minor by Rachmaninoff, I would say that's the easiest piece. But it depends on if you can play loud chords without strain.

Offline pius02

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 05:40:49 PM
Sorry for the missing answer but I had a lot to do. I already thought that these pieces are very difficult. Do you know any that are also hard, but more doable than the ones mentioned above? Or should I just try the Prelude in C Sharp minor

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 09:39:32 PM
Hmm, good question, let me think for a bit. You can always try the Rach and if you feel you are struggling or like it causes strain/takes effort you can drop it. Don't expect to play it in full tempo, but you can always enjoy making Rachmaninoff sounds!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert