Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin B Minor Sonata-Note Discrepency, First Movement  (Read 778 times)

Offline steinway43

Chopin B Minor Sonata-Note Discrepency, First Movement
on: November 16, 2021, 06:48:19 AM
Some of you might know where I'm going the instant you see this.

I first learned this piece many many moons ago. My teacher at the time lost his mind when I played something that felt like it came from instinct. I refer you to the last beat in bar 96, four sixteenth notes written as F# E  C# A#. I played G natural F# C# A#. He admitted it sounded better, even more correct, but it wasn't what was on the page. I don't know if I'd heard it played that way or not. I can't remember. However, all these years later I've heard two people play that alteration, Trifinov and now Kuszlik.

Yay for me!  lol :)

My question to all here is, is that written in any edition of the piece? And if so which one? I love my beautiful Henle edition (man they know how to print!) but if they're playing that, then so can we all.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin B Minor Sonata-Note Discrepency, First Movement
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 12:24:04 PM
Good question. I have the Ekier edition of the sonatas, which has many of these "modern", newly researched readings. I can check later today what's in that edition. (unless I forget lol)

Offline arda152

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 09:36:44 AM
I heard the alternative g-f#-e-c# in many recordings, do you mean that? Trifonov also played like that in 2010 Chopin Competition. g-f#-c#-a# seems and sounds weird to me, and it's very difficult to play also.

Henle prints f#-e#-c#-a# and says this was the autograph. The other version (g-f#-e-c#) appears in the English and French first edition.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 12:06:00 AM
I heard the alternative g-f#-e-c# in many recordings, do you mean that? Trifonov also played like that in 2010 Chopin Competition. g-f#-c#-a# seems and sounds weird to me, and it's very difficult to play also.

Henle prints f#-e#-c#-a# and says this was the autograph. The other version (g-f#-e-c#) appears in the English and French first edition.

If it's in multiple first editions it's not unlikely that the version was approved by Chopin. He did correct the score for his first editions in both France, England and Germany if I recall correctly.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert