Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Public piano improvisation  (Read 373 times)

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Public piano improvisation
on: December 15, 2021, 10:31:25 PM
Having a little bit of fun..

a slightly hyperactive improvisation, but the point was largely about using the "notey"-ness as a tool for creating textures.. and enjoying myself.

My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Public piano improvisation
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 11:59:24 PM
As always, the attractive features of your improvisation for me are your romantic lyricism and associated harmonic changes. These are largely unaffected by how many notes you play, which is after all just one creative option among many. The reasons for playing a lot of notes vary among players but demonstration of finger dexterity is surely one of the least musical, and you never do that. I do not find this one particularly hyperactive but perhaps that says more about my playing than yours. Hyperactivity seems to me only a problem when physical energy is used as a substitute for musical idea or impulse and your lyricism effectively protects you from that trap.   
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Public piano improvisation
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 03:01:17 AM
The music presents quite a contrast with the background of a glass metropolis and buzzing vehicular traffic.  I tend to agree with Ted, in that this does not sound hyperactive, rather that it contains the necessary gesture to project the musical idea.  Your flow of ideas is organic and I am immediately drawn into the sound world you express. 

Fun indeed!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert