Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Video: Beethoven Sonata No. 3 in C major (1st mov)  (Read 825 times)

Offline siiben

• PS Silver Member
Video: Beethoven Sonata No. 3 in C major (1st mov)
on: December 18, 2021, 11:54:33 AM

Hope it's enjoyable! Any feedback is welcome (just don't be too hard on me, I have a day job and other hobbies too which get in the way ;D).

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Video: Beethoven Sonata No. 3 in C major (1st mov)
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 09:33:26 PM
I think it's very good! I think you do many beautiful things and it's a beast of a sonata to play. Of course, some mistakes happen but you know about those.

I think my main feedback would be that your tempo feels a bit unsteady sometimes - it feels like you go slightly faster sometimes so the tempo sways a bit. In other places, however, you are very steady and have a great rhythmic poise. I'm not sure if you are going for a rubato or if you are just losing your steadiness sometimes. Beethoven can benefit a lot from having a powerful, steady rhythm, so I would experiment with playing the whole piece completely steadily at first, just to see how you feel about it. If you still feel some rubato is needed, you can add it back.

Offline siiben

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 08:33:05 PM

Thanks, lelle, for your kind words! I agree about the tempo, it annoyed me a little to notice when I watched the performance. It’s something to work on and to consider definitely. I struggle with it a little to be honest, probably need more practice with the metronome.

Offline chrisjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 01:45:11 AM
I thought that was very well played. I've just joined this forum, and getting a feel for things and yours is the first audition I've listened to, and I was suitably impressed.

Aside from some minor rhythm issues already mention one further thing I would suggest is that this piece would benefit from more power in the bass tones, but that maybe a limitation of the instrument? The RH sometimes felt a little too dominant.

Overall though I thought your technique was strong.

Offline siiben

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 05:52:21 AM

Welcome to the boards, happy to be your first 🤠 And thanks for the feedback, I see what you mean!

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 03:48:24 AM
When you left your little blurb about not going too hard on you I wasn't sure what to expect, but from the first few bars I knew that you knew what you're doing. You really understand the character and have a fantastic technique. I agree with what others said about the tempo and rhythmic aspects. I also want to add that a few of the thirds felt the tiniest bit uneven in the beginning. It's one of those techniques that's extremely difficult, and you still pulled it off great. Maybe once of twice there was the tiniest bit of clumping. Anyway, fantastic performance. I hope you post the rest of the sonata.
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline siiben

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 06:54:44 AM

Thank's that's really kind, reading this put a big smile on my face!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert